Saturday, November 3, 2012

Maya's first Halloween

Halloween is totally one of my favorite times of the year. 
The beautiful fall colors, the scary decorations, the candy, the creative costumes, pumpkin carving, and of course my annual tradition of watching a horror movie.


This year was Maya's first Halloween, so of course I jumped at the chance of celebrating it all together. Hey, I don't care if she doesn't know what Halloween is...she's going in a costume and we're taking her trick-or-treating!


Like we do every year, my husband did the Halloween decorations for our house, complete with 3 fog machines, motion-activated hanging ghosts, mummified rats in the yard, and dismembered body parts coming out of the soil. Ours was definitely the best house on the block!


This year we went to the pumpkin patch at Richmond Country Farms, which I hadn't been to since I was little. They had farm animals, a singing corn-on-the-cob, mini donuts and hot chocolate, and a tractor hay ride to 2 large pumpkin patch fields. 


You get one bag per adult and you can fill it with as many pumpkins as you like. If you want extra bags it costs $3/bag, which is way cheaper than the $8 pumpkin I got from Safeway! The only thing is that you have to carry the pumpkins back yourself, which didn't really make a difference to me since I've become quite a bodybuilder carrying around my 19lb baby all the time!


On the tractor hay ride there were lots of sing-songs which Maya loved. Luckily we went on a sunny day, but it was very muddy due to the heavy rains the week before. There were tons of pumpkins to choose from, of all shapes and sizes. Some parents brought their strollers but I put Maya in hr carrier so the stroller wouldn't get muddy. 


We came back and carved the pumpkins over the next few days - challenging to find the time while watching the baby. Sometimes we carved them after she went to sleep for the night. We usually do 6 pumpkins but this year we only did 4.


Halloween day came and it just poured pounding rain the whole evening! We got Maya dressed up in her costume, which husband got from NYC. It was soooooo cute!!! My parents came over and we all had pizza and played with the baby. Then they watched the house while we took her to a few neighbors' houses for trick-or-treating. There are tons of kids in our area but due to the heavy rain we only got about 5 trick-or-treaters.


SHARE:

No comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig