Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Jaipur - a city of eccentricity

(Jaipur is located in the Northern state of Rajasthan)

My favorite city of North India (so far...) is Jaipur. As an artist, I found Jaipur to be one of the most unusual and eccentric cities in India that I have visited. It was so colorful and vibrant. Jaipur is known as "the pink city" and it is the largest city in the state of Rajasthan. There are so many fantastic monuments and incredible palaces to visit. I also found just traveling to and fro, and going to the markets, a very quirky experience. The people of Jaipur were incredibly friendly and easy to talk to. I found it to be a much softer city - in terms of people and food - than Delhi, which we had just traveled from previously. I had a wonderful time and I can't wait to take my father and Maya there one day.

Here are some pics from our trip:

(We stayed at a beautiful boutique hotel called the Samode Haveli)

(Amer Fort evening light show - with music)

(I found this old photo in the hotel & the young man on the left looks like a younger version of my husband!)

(Elephant at the Amer Fort)

(My favorite elephant with a tiger design)

(My mum makes friends everywhere she goes!)

(Amer Fort - incredible artistry)

(Wall painting in the Amer Fort)

(Ceiling in the Amer Fort)

(Love letters at the Amer Fort)

(Amer Fort)

(One of my favorite photos of husband-ji)

(Snake charmer at the Amer Fort - and I love the painting of himself behind him!)

(Anokhi museum - artist carving a wood block for textile printing)

(Finished block carving - incredible)

(Husband-ji trying out block printing)

(Me finding fabrics)

(Hand-dipped dyeing fabrics)

(Inside the vibrant main market)

(Embroidered trims for saree borders)

(Nerve Wracking!)

(No store? No problem!)

(Roadside dentures, anyone?)

(Outdoor dancers at the Rambagh Palace)

(Dancer at the Rambagh palace)

(Dancer at the Rambagh Palace)


It's hard to pick just one favorite part of the trip...the whole thing was magical. We were only there for a few days, so I can't wait to go back and discover more. I returned from the trip feeling very artistically inspired.

Places we discovered:

Jaipur Market

---------

This is the first post in my India travel series. Stay tuned for more!

SHARE:

5 comments

  1. Beautiful pictures...i want to go now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, don't think my comment posted properly! I absolutely love Jaipur. I was just there in March and it was definitely my favorite northern city. I can't wait to see the south when we travel around after our wedding in February.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will looooove the South. Maybe I'm biased because I'm married to a South Indian ;) Where are you planning to go?

      Delete
  3. I love Jaipur as well! It was definitely one of my favorites! My husband is north Indian so we only visited north India. Jaipur was so different than the rest of India and had such an amazing vibe! (We also saw: Mumbai, Delhi, Agra, Goa, a small beach village whose name I can't remember right now, and Pune. I can't wait to go back- I really want to see Kerala and I also want to see the Himalayas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too...there was just something so different about Jaipur...so artistic and quite odd...I loved it.
      I liked Goa too...the portuguese influence was beautiful architecture, and interesting language too. It's one of the only Indian languages that my hubby can't understand at all!
      India is just a place where you can keep discovering and rediscovering...it is changing at such a rapid place too.
      Kerala is lush and magical...very tropical feel.
      I really want to see Udaipur and Ahmedabad, and also my hubby's family's village in Tamil Nadu (if I can cope with the heat!)

      Delete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig