Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Maya's first temper tantrum

(My little angel can act devilish sometimes!)

Well, it finally happened. 

At 13 months, 1 week, and 1 day old...Maya had her first official temper tantrum!

For the past few weeks I've been noticing that she's starting to cut down her nap time to only one nap time per day (NOOOOO!!!!) And I've also noticed that around 4-5pm she has started getting really fussy, but refuses to go down for her afternoon nap.

 I noticed she was quite tired, so I fed her a snack, changed her, and was going to put her down for her afternoon nap. She wasn't having it. Oh, what a tantrum. She was half asleep, half fake-crying, laughing, yelling, coughing...fresh out of Bollywood acting school!!! But her eyes were closed and she was trying to get to sleep. This act went on for 45 minutes before I got seriously frustrated. Then she started pushing at me, and hitting me - and then I really reached my limit.

I said, "Fine, if you're going to hit me, then I'm not going to hold you and rock you to sleep. You don't get a second nap today!!!" I put her down in the living room and proceeded to ignore her for 30 minutes while I washed the dishes and loaded the dishwasher. Sort of like a "time out".

And guess what happened? As soon as I stopped paying attention to her, her tantrum stopped!

This is the first time I've ever really had to discipline her. Of course, we say "no" all the time, but I never really had to show that certain bad behaviours have consequences...until now.

Then I remembered that I'm going to be having to do this for a very long time - consistent discipline, teaching consequence, and also setting my own personal limits - I suppose this is the first of many! Crap!
Oh, parents, we are so patient!!!


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig