Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Jab we met... (part one)



Many of you have asked me how I met and fell in love with my beloved husband-ji...

I met him at college, when I was in my 3rd year. I was friends with many international students, including a group of South Indians that were really fun to hang around. Madhavan had just arrived from Hyderabad and was the newest Indian student to join the group. At that time, all the South Indians roomed together in this one dingy apartment building. I lived nearby, across the cemetery (yes, an ancient civil war cemetery) and periodically came to visit and chit chat with my Indian friends. They were always blasting Bollywood songs, cooking something delicious, and having serious discussions about life. That's just my kinda crowd...

I had just got back from winter vacation, where I visited my parents in Venice, and had a hellish flight back in which all my bags were lost. I came back to my apartment and there was no food in the fridge, so I wanted to go to both the grocery store AND back to the airport to see if my bags arrived. I phoned up my trusted South Indian group to see if they wanted to tag along and get some groceries before the semester started. All 4 wanted to tag along. They said Madhavan was going to be joining, who was "the new guy". I waited outside for them in the driveway and got out of the car. I was leaning against the car (probably looking as gorgeous as ever...lol) Madhavan came out and ...the whole world stood still. What I felt that day was the strangest feeling I'd ever felt in my life. We just stood and stared at each other, and the rest of our friends felt it too. There was just this crazy connection. It was literally as if a gust of wind called destiny had blown over us. There wasn't anything in particular that struck me about his appearance, but it was his eyes. His eyes, and his gaze, felt familiar to me as if he had loved me in another life. When he looked at me that day, I felt a warmth that was so pure and gentle that it pierced my heart.

This wasn't what you would call "lust at first sight". It was different. I had boyfriends before, even serious boyfriends who wanted to marry me, but it never felt right. Not like this. That is how I knew it was different. 

Meeting Madhavan was like finding the puzzle piece to my future. The day we had met, I felt like I looked God in the eye and he told me that "this man is your destiny". Years later, when I went to a psychic, she said that for the past 7 lifetimes Madhavan had loved me from afar, unable to approach me but at the same time worshipping me, and this was the first lifetime that he was finally able to muster up the courage to do it. And that was what I felt that day - that this man had already loved me, he already knew me, he understood me, it was like we spoke the same language that only we could understand. It`s hard to explain, but when you meet your soulmate...you just know in that first second.

We all piled into the car and Madhavan sat in the back seat. Every time I looked back into the rear-view mirror, he was staring at me, with that same telepathic gaze. He didn't take his eyes off me for the whole ride. We both smiled inside...it was the beginning of the rest of our lives...


"Ancient Sanskrit legends speak of a destined love, a karmic connection between souls that are fated to meet and collide and enrapture one another. The legends say that the loved one is instantly recognized because she's loved in every gesture, every expression of thought, every movement, every sound, and every mood that prays in her eyes. The legends say that we know her by her wings - the wings that only we can see" - Shantaram


To be continued...
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. Wow :) That was a sweet story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexandra - I am a silent reader of your blog. I came here to understand how non-desi DIL's cope in desi families. This post is like a bollywood story - bandhan saat janmon ka! (relationship of seven births)

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting, feel free to comment more :)
      That's so funny that it is like a Bollywood story...maybe we will write a screenplay one day ;) hahaha!
      Sometimes I forget that my husband is Indian. Learning about the culture and trying to understand has made me understand a part of him, and especially our extended family. I'm the first foreigner in the family & we are only the 4th love marriage, out of 500 family members.

      Delete
  3. You are a true Indian wife, you have a Bollywood worthy love story. lol. Anyway what I wanted to say is you are right about the soulmate thing. Also if I may add when we are with the right person, relationship feels like a breeze but with the wrong one it feels like you have to work so hard for you to be happy.
    -R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha!!! I would definitely choose "teri ore" song for this scene! (that was the song we used when we were presented at the mandap at our wedding)
      Totally agree with you - "when we are with the right person, relationship feels like a breeze but with the wrong one it feels like you have to work so hard for you to be happy." - everything just seems to fit perfectly, you are so comfortable with that person, even in the most stressful times it is easier to get through with their love.

      Delete
  4. beautiful! and I want the name of that psychic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was this young gypsy-looking lady who was in Savannah GA on River street. She was so right!

      Delete
    2. And also interesting with the presence of "7" as we walked around the fire 7 times when we got married. I guess that means he's gotten me as a wifey for the next 7 lives, so his hard work paid off ;)

      Delete
  5. Wow what a beautiful story. I do believe that we know people from the past. Want to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :)
      part 2 is here: http://madh-mama.blogspot.ca/2013/09/jab-we-met-part-two-gentleman.html

      Delete
  6. oh what a beautiful start of a lifetime together.

    ReplyDelete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig