Friday, October 11, 2013

Day of the Girl

Today is the International Day of the Girl and it is a very important day for me. I come from a long line of empowered, strong women who live their lives fearlessly and march to the beat of their own drum. We are not victims because we were born women and refuse to behave like one. We do everything a man can do... but ten times better. We are also encouraged by strong male partners who enhance our strength by standing behind us & encouraging our voices, not silencing it. It is very important to instill strength in girls because they will soon grow into strong, empowered women. In my opinion, there can never be enough strong women in this world.

I am privileged to be born a girl. I think it is a great blessing. I am thrilled to have a daughter - and I wish to be blessed with more daughters. I can't wait to send my strong daughters out into the world - fearlessly - and see how they will thrive...

Lately, I have been really inspired by Malala. She is a Pakistani girl who was shot in the head by the Taliban because she spoke out and wanted girls to get an education. She started writing a blog at the age of 11, documenting her life under Taliban rule for BBC and her struggle to promote education for girls. Her father has been her main supporter, as he has encouraged her to be fearless. She is the youngest person to be nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize.

(Img via)


Malala's amazing interview on Jon Stewart


It is not a woman's job to sit down and shut up. It is a woman's job to create the life she wants for herself & her future generations. Each woman is the all-powerful Durga maa. It is up to us to lead the way and set the tone...for our families and our communities...


Inspiring quotes for women/girls

"A girl should be two things: who and what she wants" - Coco Chanel

“A woman is the full circle. Within her is the power to create, nurture and transform.” - Diane Mariechild

“Woman must not accept; she must challenge. She must not be awed by that which has been built up around her; she must reverence that woman in her which struggles for expression.” - Margaret Sanger

 "Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult." - Charlotte Whitton

 "I, with a deeper instinct, choose a man who compels my strength, who makes enormous demands on me, who does not doubt my courage or my toughness, who does not believe me naive or innocent, who has the courage to treat me like a woman." - Ana├»s Nin

 "I am an example of what is possible when girls from the very beginning of their lives are loved and nurtured by people around them. I was surrounded by extraordinary women in my life who taught me about quiet strength and dignity." - Michelle Obama:

“When we speak we are afraid our words will not be heard or welcomed. But when we are silent, we are still afraid. So it is better to speak.” ~Audre Lorde 

"You are a child of god. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you." - Marianne Williamson

"As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." - Marianne Williamson.


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig