Saturday, November 2, 2013

First ever "Firangi Bahu" on Indian TV!!!

(Img via)

The day has finally come....the FIRST EVER Indian TV serial with a foreign wife/DIL is premiering on Monday on Sahara One!


I think this is a major milestone for Indian TV. Usually, it is all Indians on the soap operas, with these big huge Indians-only families (of course) with multigenerational sagas carrying on for years and years. There are endless TV serials about saas-bahu (MIL-DIL) dramas, which many women (including my Indian MIL) is addicted to. But, it's an Indians-only playing field - and Indians-only problems.....until now, that is!!

And now....a foreign wife!!! A WIFE. Not a girlfriend. Not the foreign whore before the "good Indian boy" got an arranged marriage to his subservient, pure Indian girl. A WIFE!!! And a wife that wears sindoor, saree and speaks fluent Hindi! I can totally relate to this character already!

Okay, yes....I'm sure the whole thing will be filled with stereotypes - but comedy on TV is stereotypical and it's all about fun! I already know it will have some stereotypes since the Bahu is blonde (because the majority of foreign women are platinum blonde.... o_O)

The main thing that I'm excited about regarding this - is that it shows a little bit of a DIVERSITY. Traditional Indian MILs and MILs-to-be are going to be watching this show and are going to be finding little ways to relate....that the concept of having the dreaded foreign DIL is not as scary as it seems - that we have problems just like any Bahu! This is huge. And ground-breaking....

When I saw this news, I immediately jumped up from the computer and yelled to my MIL, "come see, quick!" Of course husband-ji was thinking it was going to be another news story about gang-rape in India that I'm obsessed with. "Look, it's the first ever Firangi Bahu serial! Aunty, we have to watch!" I screamed. Husband-ji started laughing at us, feeling superior while watching his oh-so fancy cooking shows. "Very good," MIL nodded. "It's just like us! It will be fun to watch. Keep note of the time and we will watch!" MIL was so excited. Of course, being such a typical foreign wife, I put it on the calendar! Husband-ji was rolling his eyes and giggling.

Firangi Bahu premieres on Monday, November 11th at 7:30pm on Sahara One. See the review on Times of India HERE.


---------

What do you think, dear readers? Are you going to be watching Firangi Bahu? Do you think your MILs will watch it?

SHARE:

15 comments

  1. This is really nice. Also, that lady is so pretty!
    I hope the show does well and that she is portrayed in a positive light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And she had to be blond! expect some good old Stereotypes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Totally.... hope it will actually be a good comedy.

      Delete
  3. I'd love to watch but is it only in Hindi ? (Padparadscha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably only in Hindi, but I will be searching for one on youtube with subtitles! I will post it if I find it.

      Delete
  4. Everyone forgot KZK and sanskaar laxmi with Suzanne Bernert as the Firang bahu.....tv has short memory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but wasn't Sanskaar Laxmi firangi character only a live-in girlfriend?

      Delete
    2. Yes but in Astitva she was Bahu...in KZK Bahu of Prena and after time leap Saahs....

      Delete
    3. Ohhh, I didn't know of that one! Probably they are only announcing "first ever firangi bahu" for publicity then..

      Delete
  5. How do you like the show, Alexandra? I've been watching after I read about the show on your blog and thus far there have been stereotypes galore- the blonde girl from a divorced family and how "everyone" in India values relationships...blah, blah, blah. And I must wonder, was I brain dead when I lived in India or did Indian women really scheme as much as they do on this show? :-)

    Raina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UGH! It sucks!!!! I couldn't even get past the first episode with the terrible computer graphics and all those random people in the storyline. Also, bahu's dutch accent was so thick, couldn't understand her Hindi at all; and I found Pranay to be not good looking at ALL! And bahu is looking like she is dressed for a wedding daily. And yes, so much Indian women scheming 24/7!!!

      Delete
  6. KZK was Bahu of Prena....SL was live in

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's good because Indians notoriously don't want to mix. Maybe they think their culture and religion is better than everyone elses or maybe there is a lack of understanding of different cultures. I live in Australia and many Indian families send their sons abroad but they won't allow them to marry an Australian. but if they don't like Australians why send him here. It is creating a segregated country where people cluster together along cultural lines and refuse to integrate. Me and my partner are one of the the exceptions as my partner is Indian and I am currently living with him and we are having a child.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where can we watch it with english subtitles?

    ReplyDelete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig