Thursday, November 7, 2013

My Famous Kheer


One of the few Indian recipes that I can do absolutely flawlessly is my special Kheer. It is a delicately sweet and nutty dish of rice pudding - it is perfect after eating something spicy. This recipe is especially favored by our extended family, who were very impressed that it was made by a non-Indian (and that is HUGE!). I learned this recipe from an Indian Vegetarian cooking class that I took before marriage, and have perfected it. I like to make it for special occasions, as I recently made it for Diwali. It takes about 40 minutes to make.

Madh Mama's Famous Kheer 
Serves 12 people

Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup basmati rice, soaked overnight
- 4 cups half & half (found near milk in supermarket)
-4 cups whipping cream (liquid form)
-1 1/4 cups sugar
-1/4 tsp powdered nutmeg
-1/4 tsp cardamom (grinded finely)
-1/4 tsp saffron (I use Spanish saffron but you can also use Persian)
-1/4 cup almonds chopped
-1/4 cup pistachio chopped

Tools:
- large saucepan
- hand-held electric mixer/beater


Steps:

1. Soak rice overnight in warm water


2. Break up the rice into smaller grains with your hands


3. Put half & half in saucepan over high heat


4. Drain rice and pour into saucepan


5. Bring to a boil and reduce heat - stirring CONTINUOUSLY for 30 minutes (set timer)


6. ....Until the rice is cooked to this consistency


7. Beat it with a hand-held electric mixer


8. Pour in sugar, nutmeg, cardamom, saffron


9. Beat it again


10. Pour in half of the chopped almonds


11. Pour in all of the whipping cream and let it simmer for a few minutes


12. Beat it once more


13. Pour into a serving dish and decorate it with the rest of the almonds and pistachios

....TA DA!!!

It can be served warm or cold!

------

Check out my other recipes from My Madh Kitchen.

SHARE:

9 comments

  1. Wow! That looks like something I will need to try - and maybe impress my Indian friends with:-) Thanks for sharing- it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really delish! It's very sweet, Indians will like it. I prefer it served cold after eating spicy food :)

      Delete
  2. What an amazing recipe, easy and flavourful...mmm , am impressed ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Love your blog! I'll surely be trying some of your recipes too :)

      Delete
  3. Looks really delicious..going to give it a try..wish me luck :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this dish, I am going to try your recipe!! I had this dish on my flight over to India (gosh how I love aeroplane food!!) and have been thinking about it from time to time.

    Now I have no excuse but to make it! Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! Was it Air India? They have the best food!
    This Kheer recipe is a good one - Indians looooooved this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We made that last week and went crazy: this is by far the BEST rice pudding/kheer recipe I ever tried! You have fans in Montreal! :) Please keep posting recipes!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig