Tuesday, December 17, 2013

O Christmas tree!

(Daddy decorating the tree with Maya)

Next up in our Christmas season procession (after taking our annual Christmas card photo) is decorating the house and setting up the tree. Setting up the tree is by far my favorite part of the Christmas season - it puts me in a really sentimental mood. This year, Maya was much more interested in the tree, and she loves to sit and stare at it and point at the different ornaments. At first, she thought the ornaments were her toys, so we had to be firm with her and tell her that she can point at the ornaments, but not touch it! So now, she sits and points to the different bulbs and says their colors.

(Husband-ji & MIL decorating the tree)

This year was also the first time my MIL was here to decorate the tree with us. It was lovely to have her participate along with us. Husband-ji, was of course the "holiday monster" as usual - a total perfectionist, he wanted each ornament delicately placed on the tree in particular spots so the tree wouldn't be lopsided (a total picky artist I married, eh?) I had to remind him that decorating the tree was supposed to be a fun thing and that he didn't have to be so serious about it (LOL!)

(A collection of old & new)

My grandmother used to collect ornaments from her travels, and we inherited all of them from her, which have so much sentimental value to me. I guess I've carried on that traditions, because I've started to collect ornaments from my travels - to India, etc - and we also have a tradition that every year, we purchase a small ornament from a local vendor. Last year we purchased a pink jellyfish ornament from the Vancouver Aquarium. The year before that, we purchased a bird's nest ornament with 3 golden eggs.

(Bird's nest ornament we purchased in 2011)

I also like to give Christmas ornaments as Christmas gifts to our friends and family. This year, I bought beautiful handmade ornaments as gifts from Anthropologie - one of my favorite stores.

(One of my grandma's ornaments from the 1950s)

My grandmother also used to collect nativity scenes, but I only have one of hers. I think she was so into celebrating Christmas because she was born on Christmas Day.

(Panoramic shot of how I displayed our Christmas cards)

(Close-up shot of Christmas card display)

This year, instead of displaying our friends & family's Christmas cards on a counter top, I wanted to hang them on the wall, supported by a white string. It was an empty wall space, after all! I fastened the twine between two paintings in a slight "U" shape and hung the cards on top, sort of like a clothesline. 

(My dad's childhood stocking, and a new one)

On an opposite wall, I hung the stockings, one of which was my dad's that he had sewed himself in the 1950s.

(Peacock wreath at the front door)

Our wreath at the front door was made of faux peacock feathers, and on our Christmas tree we had many Indian elements, such as peacocks and elephants that I had purchased on our trips to India. 

(Elephant ornament I got from India)

(Peacock ornament from India)

I love the way our tree turned out. It combined so many Indo-Canadian elements, all with sentimental value!

(My tablecloth from Good Earth store)

I also put out my lovely block-printed tablecloth that I got from the Good Earth store in Bangalore.

(Our tree, glowing in the evening)

Now that Maya is understanding more and more, I'm really looking forward to carrying on these traditions in the upcoming years as she grows older.

-----

Dear readers, what is your favorite part of holiday season? Does your family have any special traditions?

SHARE:

17 comments

  1. Beautiful Christmas decorations, happy holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Holidays and best wishes for a healthy and prosperous 2014 Alexandra!!!
    Millie B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your grandmother has collected some really unique decorations. I also really like your peacock feather wreath!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I could never discard them - family heirlooms! :)

      Delete
  4. @Alexadra

    Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was lovely....Merry Christmas to u and ur family Alexandra :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Happy holidays to you as well.

      Delete
  6. Such a wonderful way to introduce us to your beautiful life. Excellent post. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking good! Ishita was good about pointing and not touching last year, this year it's a fail, she keeps touching, removing them and putting them in other spots on the tree :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwwwwwww!!!!!!!! She is such a cutie!

      Delete
  8. Loving the Christmas ornaments but my absolute favorite is that first photo with father and daughter :-). The Christmas tree absolutely enthralls my daughter and we just began the tradition of collecting something from our travels (not necessarily a Christmas ornament) and then displaying that object on our tree. Looking forward to more Christmas photos/posts.

    Raina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I love that pic! It's a really fun tradition. I need to start collecting small figurines for Dussehra too! My FIL is arriving soon and he is so excited to celebrate with us.

      Delete
  9. Awww I love that Indian doll on the Christmas tree

    ReplyDelete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig