Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Our Christmas card photoshoot (2013)

Since husband-ji and I are both FAB photographers (see HERE and HERE) we are extremely picky about people taking our family photos and would much rather do-it-ourselves - basically we would never hire a photographer (not even for our wedding!) So when we have to take a picture for our annual holiday card - we always set up the tripod with a clicker. But....the only problem is....when you have a toddler who won't sit still OR look at the camera, the task is quite difficult! I swear, the more people who are in the picture - the more likely you are to have 2/3 of the picture with their eyes closed!

Before kids, we used to just use of of the pictures of us from the year as our holiday card, but Maya is growing at such a rapid rate that I really wanted it to be current as possible!

This year, we had to do TWO attempts. The first attempt, husband-ji ended up napping half the day, and then we got all dressed up and realized that....it was already dark outside (no natural light)....and husband-ji had left his camera at work. D'oh!

Our second attempt we were much more organized, but we still had to take about 500 pictures - and out of those, we got 4 that were really good.

(The realities of taking a family photo...LOL!)

Luckily, my dear MIL was here, but she didn't want to be in the picture. So, I decided to put her to work - she stood behind the tripod and did songs and dancing so that Maya would look at the camera and smile.

And....we got it!

(Our holiday card, 2013)

It came out similar to last year, except this time I actually cleaned the house, and in this one we are all looking at the camera! Maya is really looking like both of us here - totally 50/50!

I ordered our card from Tiny Prints - one of my favorite card websites. I also got envelopes and matching return address stickers. I always like to say "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings" because not everybody celebrates Christmas, and also a general way of saying it also covers wishing people a Happy New Year too!

I also got a lovely picture of me & Maya...a bonus!


One of the things I love about Christmas time is sending out our annual holiday card - it is wonderful to actually write by hand and drop it in the post box - instead of sending some mass-email. It feels so personal, and slightly old-fashioned, which I love. I'm big on sentimental value!

Click HERE to see our outtakes from last year!
SHARE:

20 comments

  1. What a lovely family. Many blessings to you all!!!

    Millie B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Millie :))))) Happy holidays to you too! xo

      Delete
  2. Alexandra,

    I tried posting two comments earlier from my phone but neither posted, so here's hoping that third time's the charm-

    Lovely photos- frame-worthy and beautiful!

    Raina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no I didn't receive it! But one of my readers also told me they had a problem yesterday :(

      Delete
  3. The last picture of you and Maya, you both looking like Fairy tale pricess...esp you looking like Fairy Godmother

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much! it was a good one :) gonna frame it!

      Delete
  4. Alexandra, this is my first time on your blog and I loved it. Will visit it more often. Maya is soooo cute! Wish you guys a happy Christmas in advance! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much & thanks for reading! Happy holidays to you too..

      Delete
  5. Lovely pictures..God bless you all !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it turned out awesome and Maya is precious :) And the last pic is just so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that's picture perfect! Beautiful card Alexandra and Happy holidays to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You bet you cannot make the kids stand still for a while :) I loved the family pic on your postcard and best of all your pic with Maya. I love the name and you two look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous family. Love little Maya! God Bless and Happy Holidays to you too.

    ReplyDelete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig