Saturday, May 24, 2014

Now featured in The New Indian Express newspaper

Recently I was mentioned in The New Indian Express newspaper (Bangalore edition) on page 1. The article is also online and you can read it HERE.


They interviewed me regarding the online harassment and death threats I faced in the Fall from my awful internet troll. Any woman who has an online presence will most likely be getting these types of baseless threats, and unfortunately the law is ill-equipped to handle such offenses. The only solution that law enforcement will give is to stop being online.

As a survivor of such online abuse - please know that you CANNOT and SHOULD NOT hide. Harassers specifically target women as a means of control and humiliation, and when you do not give in to them, they eventually tire out and stop. Do not let anybody control your life by means of fear.

I will write more later on this topic, but please do check out the article and let me know what you think! It was so exciting to be mentioned in the newspaper and I hope it can raise awareness on the types of online abuse that women face, which are often unknown.

--------

What did you guys think of the article?

SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Interesting... I haven't recieved any cyber abuse/bullying yet. But then none of my blogs have been very popular and mostly just my mom reads them. :P Except once someone commented on my sari blog saying "very bad" but that was it. It was preatty easy to ignore since It ended there.
    I'm sorry to hear you had to go through the experiance. I am glad you were able to over come it. I love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the bloggers who get hit hardest are the ones that put up personal pics. I love your blog too! :)

      Delete
  2. The response from the Officials is just not sense. If you put your pictures or posts in public doesn't mean you deserve to be treated like that.
    Is like saying that women should change their clothes instead of changing the behavior of the rapist.
    Anyway, I am truly sorry you have to deal with this people.
    I hope some day they get what they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY, Laura! It is like saying it is my fault - absolute victim blaming!

      Delete
  3. Hi alexandra, I started reading your blog just a few days ago and belonging from Pakistan I find your posts quite similar to what our city situations are.
    I don't run a blog or a website but what happened with you is simply not stand able, especially when it comes to your child and his security. Such things happen here in Pakistan too, lack of freedom of expression I must say.
    You should carry on with your work, its beautifully expressed I completely love your writings.
    I wish you luck and stay safe, esp your lil kiddie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading :)
      Yes, it was just so awful, I did not deserve it and my daughter certainly did not either. I am scared for her when she grows up that all this online bullying is already getting out of control and there is no way to monitor it.

      Delete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig