Thursday, June 19, 2014

Our joint family vacation to Venice, Italy


We recently did a trip-of-a-lifetime by traveling all together as a family to Venice, Italy. And by all together, I mean with BOTH sets of parents!!!


We wanted to go for many reasons, including: to celebrate my dad's great diagnosis, to go on a family vacation, to celebrate Maya's 2nd birthday, and it was my inlaws' lifelong dream to visit Venice.


Having everyone in one place - a foreign destination - with all of us off work and enjoying the time together, being present in the moment...was SO wonderful.


Venice has been my parents' favorite travel destination for almost a decade. They rent a beautiful apartment in Cannaregio that has Fortuny fabric on the walls and looks over a little canal. Last year, we also went to Venice for Maya's first-ever vacation, and husband-ji's first trip to Italy. This current trip was also my inlaws' first ever trip to Italy, and to Venice.


Venice is a really amazing city for kids. It's like the whole city is a huge playground, with squares they can run around at every corner, tons of pigeons to feed and chase, endless gelato...and the best part is: no cars!


We had some nice one-on-one time with my parents before my inlaws arrived, then we had nice family time all together, and then my parents' left for Rome, so we got some one-on-one time with my inlaws too. It was a win-win.


This year, we got to do a lot more sightseeing because Maya was more flexible and wanted to play - anywhere and everywhere! We did San Marco Square, the Rialto, Burano, Torcello, San Giorgio Maggiore, Palazzo Ducale, a family gondola ride....and a ton of walking around and discovering.


And although husband-ji and I didn't get any alone time, I felt it was a very romantic vacation for us. He was so helpful with her that it really reminded me of what a great dad he is, and a great husband, and that when he is off work - he does help me out a lot with her.


I was so happy to see my inlaws and spend time with them. Maya really bonded with my FIL which was adorable to see.



This vacation went so well that I would love to do it again - meet once a year in a foreign destination & all be tourists together! It really was the trip of a lifetime...



SHARE:

16 comments

  1. Amazing pics. I can see you guys had so much fun and everyone looks so happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sooooooooo much fun!!!! More pics coming soon!

      Delete
  2. Oh looks like you all had soo much fun. Awesome! Venice... Lucky. Italy is on the map for me.
    Memories made. ♥ That's the best thing about taking family vacations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, beautiful memories! You should go to Venice for your honeymoon on the way back from India! It is such a romantic city!

      Delete
  3. Alex,

    Such a grand time with everyone! How much fun, everyone has their own style of vacation. You seem to have the happy mix of making everyone happy while seeing Venice. How fabulous, you must do this more. What a great family!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally want to do it again....it was so great!

      Delete
  4. I came across your blog very recently and loved it a lot. Being a South Indian myself and married to a South Indian as well, i could thoroughly enjoy reading every bit of your various accounts of the great South Indian experiences that you've been having with your Husband-ji & family. Love your daughter's name 'Maya'. Love your writing. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww thank you so much! I love being married to a South Indian, they are the best! Represent :)

      Delete
  5. Lovely pictures. The vacation seems like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like such a great vacation!! No cars?? Super!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great! No cars, only boats! We got tons of exercise!

      Delete
  7. Wow .... now i am send a link to the hubby right away to take some time off ... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;) It was a great vacation, and really kids' friendly too!

      Delete
  8. Awwwww!! Such beautiful photos. I am so glad that your in-laws could go to Venice, their dream came true! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren, it really was! I was so happy to see them experience it, and to be there with them.

      Delete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig