Monday, July 28, 2014

Destiny, Fate & the lunchbox


How much of life is destiny? 
How much of our lives are pre-written when we come into being?

The other day, I was at my parents' house and I found my lunchbox from when I was in grade school. On one side it had Krishna, and on the other side it has Goddess Lakshmi. The pattern in between had an "Om" symbol. I remember picking out this lunchbox, thinking it looked nice. My dad used to stuff it with samosas and pakoras for snacks which I devoured heartily.

I remember the Indian students being drawn to me because of this lunchbox, looking at me because "she's one of us". My best friend (who was a Hindu Punjabi) was drawn to me because of this lunchbox. She came to a new school and didn't know a soul. She saw me in the cafeteria with my lunchbox and followed me and struck up a conversation. We became instant friends. 

The white students used to ask me why I would keep doodling "3's" and why there were "3's" on my lunchbox. "Is that your lucky number or something?" they would say. I sighed, annoyed. "It's OM, you idiots....Don't you know anything?"

Twenty years later, finding this lunchbox - now, having an Indian husband, having given birth to an Indian daughter, and being married to the culture (for better or for worse) - I wonder, was it a sign of my destiny? When I picked it out, why was I innocently drawn to it? Why did I pick this one out of all the lunchbox choices that day?

Wise men often say that you're exactly where you're supposed to be, at any given moment. And when I see things like this, it is almost as if I can see my childhood self standing in front of me, saying "I told you so..." with a mysterious smile.

I wonder....how much of our lives are pre-written? How much of the choices we make - whether it be a lunchbox or a spouse - is engineered by the greater pull of destiny?



SHARE:

4 comments

  1. OMG that is such a big coincidence. :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really is.....and my husband's name Madhavan is a form of Krishna!

      Delete
  2. Krishna and Lakshmi, good choice ! It's funny how one can be attracted to another culture almost instinctively, makes me wonder about reincarnation. I tend to be attracted like a magnet by anything Indian or Native American.

    Did your family also have a love story with India, as you say your dad gave you samosas and pakoras ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We traveled to Asia a lot while I was growing up, but my dad mostly just loved Indian food a lot! So I think it was something that felt more familiar to me, in a strange way. I believe in reincarnation a lot, I often read this website called Spirit Science and they have articles on Past Lives in children etc.

      Delete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig