Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Old Fashioned Chocolate Chip Cookies


This is the first non-Indian recipe for my blog, and I wanted to start with a recipe that was passed down by my grandmother. These are famous in our family and have been made for generations. One of my favorite memories of my grandmother was making these cookies with her.

(My grandmother's handwritten recipe)

The thing that sets this recipe apart from others is the addition of nuts. It gives it a wonderful flavor. You can use any kind of nuts you want - walnuts, pecans, almonds...etc. You can also use any kind of chocolate you want - milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate, mint chocolate.... It is fun to experiment with all the different variations.

For this recipe, I have used the combination of dark chocolate & walnuts.


Madh Mama's Old Fashioned Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 cup all purpose flour
-1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt

Tools:
- large mixing bowl


Directions:

First, heat the oven to 375 degrees.


Mix the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and softened butter together until it forms a thick paste.


Add the egg and the vanilla; and mix well.


Add the baking soda and the salt.


And the flour.


Mix well to form a thick paste.


Add the chopped nuts.


Add the chocolate.


Mix well.

Grease a baking pan with butter and dust it with flour to prevent sticking. OR an alternative would be to use parchment paper.


Scoop the cookie batter onto the pan. Remember the cookies will spread out a bit so don't place them too close together.


Bake at 375 degrees for 7-8 minutes.


And voila!


SHARE:

10 comments

  1. Going to try this, my husband will love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so quick to make! Let me know how it turns out :)

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious! Going to try this very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Let me know how it turns out :) I love to eat these cookies with my afternoon tea. I just made another batch today!

      Delete
  3. I only have brown sugar at home. Can I substitute it for granulated sugar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can try! It may give it a deeper flavour!

      Delete
  4. Wow, those loo awesome! At home we love old fashioned chocolate chip cookies and the recipe is just in time for the cosy days of fall coming ahead. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these cookies for thanksgiving when my boyfriend's family came over and they were an instant hit. After that I baked about 20 batches of these cookies for my school friends and my boyfriend. Could you maybe post some more Canadian recipes, please? Growing up in an Indian household, I don't know much about baking from scratch or making casseroles and stuff. It would be very helpful if you could maybe post some recipes for that - only if it isn't a bother. Thank you.

    Btw, I am a silent reader of your blog and it gives me hope when I think about breaking it to my parents about me having a white bf. I just hope they take it half as well as your in laws did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad! Sure, I will post some more soon....
      Also this recipe works great if you use white chocolate + salted pistachios + cranberry ---- instead of nuts and chocolate chips. Try that variation too!

      Delete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig