Sunday, October 26, 2014

My 2 year blog-iversary & tips for other bloggers


Today marks my 2 year anniversary from the time that I started this little madhhouse. I didn't know exactly what I was doing, how I was going to do it, or where it would take me, but I knew one thing for sure...I wanted to write. Just write. That is all.

In my first post, I assumed that this blog would document my journey of motherhood, but it has become so much more. Two years later, my blog has taken me on a tidal wave in a destination that I never dreamed of. I have met so many interesting people, I had the opportunity to write for a published magazine (twice!), and was recently interviewed by a producer on my favorite TV network, TLC. If I keep this going, I really wonder where it will take me, as I'm only on year 2! 

I think I knew I was doing something worthwhile when I felt a freedom from writing, as well as several readers telling me that I inspired them to write a blog of their own. So, for those of you who are thinking about starting a blog, or are bloggers already, here are some tips:


Write often
The sooner you make writing a priority is the sooner you will make it a part of your daily routine. I often carry around a small notebook (or you can use a notebook feature in your smartphone) to record down different ideas. Ideas will literally come to me in the middle of the night, when I'm in the shower, or when I'm out and about. It strikes me like a lightning bolt!

Read often
One of the things that has improved my writing capabilities is reading very frequently. I like to read novels, articles on current events, and I read a ton of blogs. I read things from all over the place, that are not necessarily in my "genre".

Schedule posts in advance
I like to use the Google calendar feature to schedule my posts so I can see what my month looks like with a variety of topics. That way, things are more spaced out and consistent. I leave some room in between for things that I write on a whim.

Talk deep
It's fine if you want your blog to reflect sunshine and rainbows, but it's not entirely honest. If you write a dishonest blog, then you yourself as a writer will not be inclined to write when things get tough. Plus, blog readers offer amazing advice when you need it. Talking about deep issues prompts deep responses.

Variety
Offer a variety of things to your blog to attract a complex reader. Fuck genre. I talk about relationships, parenting, current events, religion, travel and more. It's your space and make it complex. You never know what people will be able to relate to!

Don't forget about the blog
Many opportunities may arise from blogging, but never forget your blog's main goal is to provide content for readers. 

Surround yourself with serious people
Whether it is other artists, writers, or just people who are good at what they do, it's important to surround yourself with serious, passionate people. People who have hopes, dreams and goals (and who put in the effort to achieve them) can greatly inspire you to do your thing, whatever that may be...

Stick to it
In the blogging world, you'll notice pretty seriously about who is really serious and who is wishy-washy. Someone who writes 1 post a year is wishy-washy. Of course, things come up like life stresses and internet trolls who threaten your life (yes, that happened), but there is something to be said about people who stick to their goals, no matter what...


Cheers to year 2, writing fearlessly, and riding this tidal wave!

SHARE:

12 comments

  1. Congratulations for this important milestone!! What makes me like your blog so much is your honesty.. And your passion that comes across sincerely in your words. A lot of them are emotions which I cannot express,but then I see them in your words and it strikes a cord.. Wishing you the very best for the year ahead.. May you have a very fulfilling life. Take care.
    Manisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Melissa.....sometimes I get scared that I am maybe too honest, but passion is what I'm all about


      Delete
  2. Congratulations Alexandra. Please keep your posts coming! I look forward to each and every one of them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Thanks for sharing the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Alexandra

    We have guide books and sample papers in India which tell us what to expect in the exams. Kind of give a brief idea about examinations. Your blog serves the same purpose to all those expectant foreign DILs who are appearing for the biggest exam of their lives i.e. meeting their Indian inlaws. Your doing a great job, keep it up. Your blog is not just a revelation to foreigners but also to Indians as well. It is great to look at our own culture through and Outsider's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwww :))))))))) Made my day :))))))))))

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your anniversary ! They say if you keep doing what makes you happy, success will necessarily come, I wonder where you will be in 2 years time ! (Padparadscha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wonder! It has been a great outlet for me and I really enjoy it...doesn't feel like work to me :)

      Delete
  6. Congrats on going strong for 2 years! This is also great advice. I love scheduling posts. I find that I sometimes can sit down and write 8-20 posts but I certainly wouldn't want to post them all at once. Scheduling also gets you through those days when you don't feel like writing or don't have time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Me too! Sometimes I go on writing sprees and then I space them all out. It is good to have a break too, without the blog going dead.

      Delete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig