Thursday, October 16, 2014

Thanksgiving 2014


Last weekend we had Canadian Thanksgiving, and we were so happy to have the long weekend off work. In Canada, Thanksgiving falls on the second weekend of October, which is different than the Americans who celebrate it at the end of November. (See, we ARE different!)

It was really nice to have two whole days off work to spend as a family. But, as usual - we had a dilemma. Since we had the time off, I wanted us to do some seasonal family things like: a) take Maya to the Halloween ghost train ride, and b) take Maya to the pumpkin patch. Of course, husband-ji, the grumpy grandfather, wanted only "to relax" (aka watch TV for the whole weekend...snore!). We ended up compromising (yet again) by going to the Ghost Train on one day, and relaxing the next day. A win-win!


This year, the theme of the Stanley Park Ghost Train was "Mother Goose's Ghastly Garden", which was a haunted version of classic nursery rhymes. Maya loved it because she understood the songs she sings all the time. I thought it was actually quite scary, having Little Bo Peep randomly come up to the train screaming bloody murder. I think if it was dark out, I would have been totally creeped out! Maya didn't think it was scary at all, thank god! 


The next day, it ended up pouring torrential rain, so we didn't have a chance to go to the Pumpkin Patch. But I am totally going to drag husband-ji at the next available weekend! Husband-ji got a chance to catch up on his rest and also watch the Indiana Jones marathon on TV. For Thanksgiving dinner, we visited my aunt's house and had a delicious turkey dinner. As usual, poor husband-ji had boiled cauliflower and mashed potatoes!


It was a lovely long weekend and I'm glad we got the chance to spend it together. Now I am back on the daily grind of tiffin lunches...

SHARE:

10 comments

  1. You both studied in the southern US, right? I humbly submit some southern delicacies to add to your Thanksgiving plate (suitable for vegetarians):

    - Sweet potato casserole (with halal/vegetarian marshmallows)
    - Apple salad (This is cut up apples and pecans in Cool Whip or whipped cream)
    - Green bean casserole
    - Black eyed peas

    There's tons and tons of awesome things to add to Thanksgiving dinner that are veggie :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex,

    Happy Thanksgiving to you, husband-ji and Maya! Love the pictures of all of you, they are all so wonderful. Love the one with Maya and husband-ji. I bet Maya just loved riding the Mother Goose Gastly Garden train. Reminds me when I rode the miniature train with my Grandmother at the zoo. So glad you had some turkey. Have a great weekend!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will be riding the train again for Xmas, can't wait!
      Turkey was deeeeelish!

      Delete
  3. Happy thanksgiving to you and your family!
    I saw you had a very nice day. I live in the east cost and this is one of my favorite celebrations here along with Halloween. Is just so nice to see the colors, the pumpkins everywhere and celebrate together with our beloved ones. Plus in the 3 years I've spent here we tend to have a beautiful sunny day and it just makes it more beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely! Ahhhhh I love the colors on the East Coast...

      Delete
  4. Maya is such a beautiful name. Such depth and meaning. Do write a post on how you happened to choose that name. We nearly named our daughter Maya. But last moment changed our minds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) We loved the global aspect of it...it was also the only one we could agree on!

      http://madh-mama.blogspot.ca/2013/07/naming-half-indian-baby.html

      Delete
  5. You should look into making a nice nut roast- as an American who is vegetarian I have never missed out on a delicious Thanksgiving dinner with vegetables, mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy, sweet potatoes, tart crandberry sauce and a delicious nut roast made with roasted nuts and bread. (My mother always made on with lemon or orange juice as well which was oddly delicious!) Also (and I don't know if he would be in to this) but TOFURKEY makes fake meat that actualy tastes quite delicious (unlike A LOT of the weird fake meat stuffs out there) I have had many meat-eating friends turn their nose up at it only to discover that they quite liked it. (Worth trying out? If you have it in Canada). As usual I love your whole post with beautiful pictures but the vegatarian in me can't bear to see someone missing out on Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig