Monday, November 3, 2014

Our Halloween 2014


This year, we had quite an unexpected Halloween that turned out to be quite fun!

We had originally planned to dress Maya as a lion, since that is what costume she picked out....but then my fickle two-year-old entered a phase where she refused to wear anything on her head. No hat, no hood - nothing on her beautiful hair! So we found out pretty fast that she was totally going to nix the lion costume since it had a big headdress. So I had to scramble to figure out what she was going to wear that did not involve a hat. Ironically, the majority of children's costumes have some kind of hat or head piece involved.

Last minute, I decided that she could be a black cat and that I could cut the ears from black construction paper and fasten them on with a hair clip (since she is okay with hair clips....totally picky, I tell you!) The black cat costume turned out to be very easy and simple. I dressed her in black pants and a black leotard - which she already had in her closet! I made the ears myself out of construction paper that I already had in the house, and the only thing that I had to purchase was the black face paint (which I actually could have used my own black kohl eyeliner!) And ta da....black cat!

Maya woke up on Halloween morning in one of her moods (just like Daddy!) So we tried to dress her like stealth pilots so she wouldn't know that she was wearing a costume. But then, I had to do the face paint, which she did not like. I got one half done before she realized what I was doing and totally messed up the other half! Oh well...


We took a quick picture before I had to take her to her weekly dance class, which was basically like a costume party that day. At the dance building, I took her to the bathroom and showed herself in the mirror that she was wearing a costume. She saw herself in the mirror and was perplexed, and then felt really shy. Then, we joined our dance class and she saw that everyone was dressed up, and she got really into it. I was wondering if she understood that she was a cat, but then she started doing all these cat-like movements in the dance class.


After the class was over, she had a tantrum and said she "didn't want to be a black cat", so then I took the costume and face paint off. She fell asleep after lunch because she was tired from the dance class, and while she was sleeping, I quietly painted her cat face paint on again, perfectly!


In the evening, we went to my parents' house and went trick-or-treating around there. There were tons of kids in that area so it was really fun, and so many kids were wearing homemade costumes!


Once we got into the rhythm of trick-or-treating, Maya finally understood what Halloween was about. She would rush up to the houses and knock for the candy and she was so happy! Afterwards, we went back home and she donated all her candy to my mother, and then she rushed back to the front door and said that she wanted "to go get more candy!!!" So literally, we were out for about 4 hours and it was the most fun evening ever....


This year was really the first time that Maya understood what Halloween was and it just clicked. Not only Maya, but I felt that husband-ji understood Halloween better as well, from a child's point of view. We have always handed out candies every year, but he doesn't have the same memories I do of how fun it is to go to each house and basically run wild for the night. Husband-ji started off the night being his usual grumpy self and he only wanted to take Maya to one house. But then once he saw how much fun she was having, he got really into it! Literally we were the only parents chaperoning that were not dressed up at all! There was an Indian dad on our same route and he was wearing a chicken costume, so I poked fun at husband-ji and asked him what he was going to be next year....hahaha!


For me, Halloween brings back so many fun memories of when I was little. It is the one time of the year where the city's children own the streets and can run wild. It is very safe, as there are so many children and their parents' out, roaming about. And it also has a nice community feel where you actually get to go meet your neighbours! I also love the creativity about it - from decorating the house to the costume ideas. 


And plus, I can't wait until next year....maybe I'll even dress up! And...I totally want my MIL to come experience it! She would absolutely love it!

SHARE:

10 comments

  1. I cracked up reading this! That Maya is a very strong willed girl a great quality. She looked beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha....totally strong willed. I wonder where she gets it from ;)

      Delete
  2. Great to know more abt Halloween this way. The cat is cute & the pics lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so much fun! As the kids get older, they get even more fun!

      Delete
  3. Maya is so cute ! Homemade costumes are nicer I think and a black cat was a great idea. (Padparadscha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree...I may do homemade costumes from now on!

      Delete
  4. What a cute kitty, just adorable! Love the cat ears, very clever. Glad Husband-ji is getting to know Halloween, I think he is having fun with Maya, ziggy and all festivities. Great post.

    Love, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I think he had the most fun of all! It was great to experience it with him.

      Delete
  5. It is a tad reassuring to know that other girls my daughter's age are still hooked to their paci!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! Yes, that thing is a god-send! I will use it for as long as possible! LOL

      Delete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig