Sunday, December 21, 2014

A yuletide mess!

This morning I woke up and nearly had a heart attack that it was December 21st already - with only 4 days until Christmas.

Usually around this time of year, we already have the house decorated, Christmas tree up, gifts nicely wrapped, and maybe a few minor things still to get - but everything mostly done because we don't want to be one of those annoying last minute celebrators (oh the horror...) So we are just sitting around, enjoying the twinkles on the Christmas tree, sipping hot chocolate, entirely satisfied with being so organized, and taking in the bliss of the season.

This year, we are an absolute mess! We returned from India a little under a week ago and almost immediately fell sick with an awful chest infection - thanks to the idiot in front of us on the Emirates flight who was coughing for the entire 15 hour flight! Instead of doing any Christmas things, we were in and out of the doctor's office and the pharmacists. The days wasted away as we all lay sick in bed with severe fevers and body aches, blowing our noses off into kleenexes. The 8 suitcases we brought back crowded our tiny apartment, each with a day's worth of laundry anticipating their opening. Then I turn on TV and they've already got the Home Alone marathons playing....and what day is it again? Nevermind...I don't even know what time it is! I can't help but feel like I'm stuck on some Indian Standard Time-warp vortex...

And here we are....three and a half days before Christmas....with no Christmas tree, decorations, nothing wrapped, suitcases still sealed, waking up at 3am with horrible jet lag, minimal food in the fridge, and oh yes - the oven is now broken...

Then I start to feel frantic - on top of that, there is all the Christmas events that I like to do with Maya - like her picture with Santa or the Christmas Train ride. Some of these things thankfully go on until New Year's, but some stop on Christmas Eve.

My dilemma - do we skip Christmas or do we just postpone it? I would feel like such a lousy mum if I skipped it altogether. We may just end up celebrating Christmas on December 31st or January 1st.....then just keep the tree up until February! Maya knows it is Christmas season and is asking me about the Christmas tree - but luckily she doesn't know what DAY it falls on. I mean, it's not like it has to be celebrated at an astrologer-selected auspicious time like an Indian wedding does - it's all about the thought, right? Plus, I can't just skip it entirely - skip an excuse to celebrate? No way Jose!

We can celebrate Christmas on Indian Standard Time......right?!?!

SHARE:

14 comments

  1. The twelve days of Christmas starts at 12:00 AM on December 25. So don't worry, you have plenty of time to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 12 days later and still enjoying my tree! I kinda like our last minute celebration! It makes January a bit merrier!

      Delete
  2. Our Christmas tree only went up yesterday and we plan on keeping it up all through January. Kids aren't aware of the so called "rules' of Christmas. As you long as you have a little bit of magic in the house ie decorations, lights, candles etc everyone will be happy!
    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex,

    Don't stress yourself about Christmas, there is plenty of time. I know, it seems strange that the tree is not up, packages not wrapped etc. It is more important to take care of yourself, husband-ji and Maya. Get better, you will find a way to celebrate later. I did not even put my tree up this year, which I love to do. My husband pulled his back out and I have been sick too with sinus conjestion. I just sit and drink my hot coffee and I promised myself I would not get my, "tinsel in a tangle!" May you all rest and get better, enjoy the season with your family and the three of you.

    Merry Christmas,

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Being sick is just the worst, there is nothing we can do at all. Speedy recovery....so many people got sick this year! Nearly everyone I know!

      Delete
  4. Who cares about trees and decorations and even a broken oven ? Christmas is about feeling good and being around loved ones during the darkest day of the year. Why not try something new this year ? I'm sure you will find great ideas to do something cosy and fun for the whole family ! Take care xxxxx (Padparadscha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out great, now I feel silly for freaking out! But it was just awful to get sick and have jet lag - a double whammy!

      Delete
  5. Dont stress. Just do what you can. Some ppl decorate the tree christmas eve. Its about what makes you all happy. Happy holidays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually didn't mind doing it so close to Christmas...my tree is still up and I love it!

      Delete
  6. Technically there are 12 days of Christmas :-) from December 25th until January 6, in Latin countries they actually do the gift opening and celebration on January 6, so relax, take time to feel better and don't feel the pressure to celebrate on the date itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a few of my Italian friends are celebrating on the 6th!

      Delete
  7. Oh and in German culture the tree was traditionally decorated on Christmas Eve, not before. So you are totally on schedule if you go by a few of the European traditions :-)

    ReplyDelete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig