Monday, January 12, 2015

Our culinary journey of Hyderabad: Home cookin' & street food!


Being a total foodie, Hyderabad is a dream city for me. The street food there is incredible and it rivals the more famous Mumbai. Whenever you read guides of what to see and do in Hyderabad - the most important thing is left out - STREET FOOD!!!


In Hyderabad there is such a variety because it is a city that is so diverse in its inhabitants - 41% of the population is Muslim with a large Yemeni Arab community. There are also tons of North Indians including Rajasthani's and Punjabi's. In the past 10 years, the MNC's have brought in a huge influx of Indians from other regions as well. Hyderabadi cuisine has such a great fusion and the city has a fantastic variation.


Being stuck in traffic for so many hours a day, street food is the perfect option if you need a quick bite on the go. In other Indian cities, I have noticed that street food is more spread out. In Hyderabad, it is literally on every corner. Think of Starbucks in Manhattan - tripled! The temptation is just too much to resist! I love to get street food on the go and eat in the car like a total hog. 


Another great option for hydration is also fresh coconut water from one of the many coconut vendors - a more healthy option. Although the coconut is quite large and awkward to hold in one's hand - it literally feels like I am holding Pamela Anderson's boob or something...ha ha!


Whenever I go to Hyderabad, my main goal is to EAT - SHOP - SEE FAMILY (which is basically just being stuffed with more food...yay!


Being blessed with a large Indian family means being blessed with more relatives shoving food down your throat and insisting you have three helpings at the very minimum. Luckily, I am the ideal daughter-in-law in that sense....the Firangi Bahu whose appetite is like an all you can eat buffet - all day long! (I really can't help it....it is just too delicious!) My MIL likes to proudly boast that her DIL will eat "any sabzi! She loves everything!"



Maya is the exact same way - she LOVES Indian food and the spicier the better. She licks Mango pickle from daddy's plate! As much as it was food heaven for me, it was for her as well! Like a proper South Indian girl, she will cry if she doesn't get her idly served promptly at 7 o'clock! And that too, with coconut chutney!!!




SHARE:

17 comments

  1. I hope you had the much recommended Hyderabadi mutton biryani. They say paradise restaurant serves the best but I have tasted better versions in most Muslim weddings. Also I love the falooda served there. It tastes so yummy. Doesn't compare to any of the dessert drinks I've had until now. Of course the mirchi bhajji and pani puri too are my all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I did not! I love Paradise restaurant - there used to be only one but now there are so many! I only eat veg while traveling...
      I agree, falooda is just soooooo good!

      Delete
  2. A.lex,

    Wow, the food looks so yummy! The street food is amazing, don't think I have ever seen that before. love the video of Maya enjoying her idly and coconut chutney, so cute! Sandhya was really busy cooking some great looking food. Thanks for sharing.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She just loved all the food her grandma made.....it was made with lots of love!

      Delete
  3. Hi Madh Mama!

    Love your blog and especially the photos! Just wondering: did the street food make you sick at all? When I went to Hyderabad for my wedding (my hubby is from there), he wouldn't let me have any food except from his mom's kitchen because he insisted that I would get sick. I have a somewhat sensitive American stomach and don't particularly enjoy spicy food but I still wanted to try. Any streets in particular you would recommend? We always see to end up in the Orbits Mall area....
    Thanks! - Barbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time I went I got sick a lot, but I think it was because of the water. This time I didn't get sick. But you can get sick even at a good restaurant so it's just all by chance! But usually locals have their fave chaat stalls so I just go by word of mouth! Orbitz mall is a great area. There is one really great place to get Pav Bhaji near that army base in Secunderabad.

      Delete
  4. Oh my god. My mouth is watering and I want to go eat food like now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol at the Pamela comment. So funny and I did not view it that way but makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That thing was like heavier than my own boob LOL!

      Delete
  6. @Alexandera

    Have you eaten these street food:-

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REyKzHuoNH8

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obu28DioyD0

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56j5JdQ3qx0

    BTW, Maya looks absolutely adorable. She seems to examine the idly closely before making up her mind. Children often want to play with their food before eating or are totally disinterested in eating.

    Your MIL's kitchen every inch a middle class kitchen as it gets, very familiar and she looks a women of action with her pallu tucked in her waist cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a very delicate eater, she touches things delicately and dips them very nicely! She also knows not to play with the food or else I will take it away. But she does eat nice and slowly and really savors the flavors!
      She could totally be a professional chef! Her cooking is so tasty. We always call the kitchen "Chez Sandhya" because she takes over and makes it into a 5 star restaurant!
      I love love love Dahi Puri! Moong dal pakora I think my MIL has made. I have not had egg rolls, I eat only veg while traveling.

      Delete
    2. I think you should go to a few other places in India like Kolkata and experience the Bengali Durga Pooja and eat fabulous street food.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaOvTzlToh0

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-IKy_zCPPM

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kAJqTIDTZI

      Or Delhi with its fabulous street food of old delhi

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PjBJfT6VN4

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiXlu_qyDkU

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-otWyGMfeE

      amazing mango kulfi

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNaB2aQjV1k

      the food on the thali above consisting of fried okara, rice, dal and vegetables is very basic but tastes delicious to you. I have seen foreigners relish the most mundane India like roti with fried potato chips which is quiet amazing. I think the taste of the spices turns them on. You didn't have any stomach problems did you. Indian food normally feels so full that you feel full all the time especially when you go visiting the relatives.

      Delete
    3. I have tried to find out what she is saying. I think she screams "Coconut Chutney" like a little bird. She does look like a little bird, doesn't she?? I almost wanted to pull her cheeks and little nose, might as well take her to my home to play with my son.

      Delete
    4. Yes, she is saying "a coconut chutney" LOL!
      I would love-love-love to come to Calcutta during Durga Puja....

      Delete
  7. The best time to visit Hyd is actually in the month of Jan. There is this fair called All India Industrial Exhibition which is quite huge and attracts people a lot. It showcases all kinds of arts, crafts, kashmiri dresses lucknowi material rugs colorful cushions and what not. In fact quite a large area is also dedicated only to jewellery. Just so many stalls and so much to choose from. Not to forget the delicious local foods too! The exhibition is so huge that it takes almost three to four visits to actually look at everything. Boy you'd have gone crazy shopping there had you visited in Jan. But still it looks like you had loads of fun nonetheless. I absolutely love mirchi bhajji with the green chutney but I could never try the roadside pani puri. I always chicken out lol. The only place i have pani puri in Hyd is at dadu's park lane in secunderabad which is an exclusive chat joint run by north Indians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I have just missed it! That really sounds like something I would love. I loved Shilparaman, but of course that is year-round.
      OMG Dadu's park lane is a spot I always frequent!!!!!!!! Park Lane is such a shopping gem too.....I always shop there and grab snacks at Dadu's after.

      Delete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig