Saturday, January 10, 2015

Road trip to Kurnool



While we were staying in Hyderabad, we did a quick road trip to Kurnool. Kurnool is a smaller town about 4 hours South of Hyderabad, where husband-ji was born. We had not returned in 8 years since our first trip to India, and Kurnool had got noticeably bigger - like everywhere else in India! Luckily the highways were majorly improved because I remember last time it took us 6 hours to get there. My MIL's youngest sister ("Chinnattha" in Telugu) still lives there, so we went to go and visit her and her new home.


Along with us - Indian road trip ish-style - came my MIL, MIL's younger sister, MIL's younger sister's husband. Traveling together when we're all in a big group makes it even more fun!


Hyderabad is so congested with traffic - ALL the time - that it was lovely to get outside the city for a while and drive through the Andhra countryside. It was beautiful to see wide open agricultural fields, as well as some quietness and fresh air.





The thing I loved about Chinnattha's new house was how brightly colored the walls were. It was so cheerful. Totally my style.


They made some of my favorite vegetables and we had a delicious lunch. As usual, children, the Firangi and the men ate first, and then the women ate after. On previous trips, I have turned my nose up at this seemingly patriarchal and gender-segregated custom. But this time, I noticed something different - 3 sisters sitting at the table, gossiping and getting some much needed girl-talk. Kind of like the Kardashians or something, ha ha!


One of the best parts about the road trip was of course the roadside chai. There's nothing better than a chai at a dhaba in the middle of nowhere!


During the trip, my MIL's younger sister kept touching my hair from the back seat because she thought I was sleeping. I was in fact "resting" with my eyes closed, so I could eavesdrop nicely. They were in deep Telugu conversation and MIL's sister wanted to know how I got my hair so soft and what kind of hair oil I used. It was quite funny to overhear!



SHARE:

11 comments

  1. Maya looks so relaxed in all the pictures... You did a good job, your hubby and you, for she seems to be already happy in east and west alike. That is really precious. These kids will change the world. <3 (Padparadscha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pad, yes she totally is! I am so inspired by her...

      Delete
  2. Alex,

    Just love your picture with your pretty pink sari and Maya sitting next to you with her cute little dress. Thanks for sharing the nice photos to your trip to Kurnool! Love the picture of Sandhya and sister, Chittinattha's, great picture of these ladies. The pictures of Chittinattha's house is beautiful, nice home.

    Nice trip! Love the pics.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes I think that one is my fave pic from the trip! Such a nice time we had, going from a big city to a smaller city...

      Delete
  3. I too had taken a road trip last year to kurnool and couldn't believe how much the highway had changed. I think because its a National Highway and connects to Bangalore. It was such a pleasure driving on the highway actually where its just not possible in Hyd due to the insane traffic.The best part about India is I can simply look for hours and enjoy watching those huge agricultural fields. One thing I couldn't help but notice is how you and Maya look so Indian in the first pic. So pretty. I absolutely love your Indian clothes and your ability to carry them off so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoever improved those roads did such a great job! Just makes the whole traveling by car thing easier, because it certainly is a big mess in Hyd itself. Such a nice breath of fresh air to travel on nice open roads!
      Thank you so much :) I loved to wear all my outfits.....I love Indian attire and the different styles of draping - so innovative and chic.

      Delete
  4. What are they eating (in their plates)? I am curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the lunch was vada, taro root, dal, dondakayya...

      Delete
  5. @Alexandra

    That table, chairs and the water filter nearby is so Indian middle class, even the flooring is so 1970s 1980s middle class. I can also make an educated guess about what the women were discussing- how such and such relative is a snob, what happened at the a relative's son/daughter's marriage?? what was the amount of jewelry, how was the bridegroom etc.??

    BTW, have you been to Tripuati shrine or for that matter Vaishno Devi shrine in North India.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! yes that's us! Typical middle class family I suppose.
      This trip was a few days before our cousin-sisters engagement, so I think they were chatting about that! It was all quite secretive!
      Have not been to either, unfortunately. Hopefully one day! We have been meaning to go to Tirupathi for ages...

      Delete
    2. I bet those chairs and tables belong to 1960s and came with the dowry. I still have furniture from my parents's marriage and it is still good 45 years old. Not all, but a dining table and bed survived. Very good quality of wood though.

      I think you will love to go to Vaishno Devi shrine in North India. Vaishno Devi is to North India what Tirupathi is to south. Vaishno Devi is one of the incarnations of goddess durga. It is a located on a mountain and you have to trek all the way upto there. It is kind of trekking cum religious trip. There are ofcourse ponies for the old and elderly.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaishno_Devi

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi4xUlHHLTU

      Delete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig