Thursday, January 29, 2015

Trying out Indian beauty products


One of the things I love to do when I'm traveling is pick up beauty products from abroad. These are the types of things that you won't get at all back home. 

I have a few brands in India that I really like - Forest Essentials, Himalaya Herbals, Lakme, and Lotus Herbals. I also like to purchase pure attar oil in the roadside stalls. 

(Img via)

Forest Essentials is by far my favorite because it is just so luxurious. It is kind of like the Ayurvedic version of Jo Malone. They base everything on your ayurvedic doshas to balance your skin. I love that the products are pure in the ingredients, but more than that I love their packaging. They use ancient Indian design motifs to go along with their whole idea of reviving classic Indian beauty traditions. The scents are very unusual and unique, but also complementary - like sandalwood & vetiver. Forest Essentials is also carried in all of the top 5 star hotels and they had it when we stayed at the Taj in Bangalore, which I hoarded every single day from the housekeeping cart. I got a lot of Forest Essentials soaps for my family for Christmas gifts, but I also got a lot for myself too!

(Img via)

They had a lot of facial care with excellent reviews but I instead focused on buying matching soaps, body lotions and body sprays since I was obsessed with the fragrances. I also got some hair oil for husband-ji since he is constantly paranoid that his hair is falling out. And I got a gorgeous rose petal lip balm.


(Img via)

I also like Himalaya Herbals for their skincare. Himalaya Herbals is also based on Ayurvedic medicine but it is more commercialized and also cheaper than Forrest Essentials. Himalaya Herbals is to India as Neutrogena is to the USA. They also have all these ayurvedic pills which husband-ji likes to purchase for his imaginary hair loss!


(Img via)

My favorites from the Himalaya Herbals line was their Apricot face scrub, which I use every morning in the shower. It is so refreshing and it really smooths the skin. I also really liked their Kajal eye pencil because it seemed less harsh than the ones in the West. The Baby Powder was my absolute favorite because it had such a soft texture - you can tell it is better quality than Johnson & Johnson's. It had a really nice cooling effect when you rubbed it on the skin, which is crucial in India with the heat.

(Img via)

For makeup, Lakme is the best mid-range brand. They have some beautiful feather-light foundations such as Absolute Mattreal Skin Natural Mousse, which I was really impressed by. They also had a really great tinted lip balm which was so yummy and moisturizing. Lakme is also a major sponsor of Indian Fashion Week and they have huge bridal salons all over major cities.

(Img via)

Another line I like is Lotus Herbals - particularly for their liquid sindoor because it has a matte texture and it is really long-lasting. It is also free of dangerous toxins that are in many of the regular sindoors.

Forest Essentials and Himalaya Herbals have their own free standing stores, but the best place to purchase makeup in Hyderabad is in Kathiawar Stores which is kind of like a mini Sephora. They have so many domestic and international brands and a very helpful staff.

Indian beauty products are unique because they combine function with tradition. Many of the companies I listed above are promoting natural products and the traditions of ayurveda. The companies seem to be marketing their products to the modern Indian working woman, who is both contemporary and professional. An added bonus is that all of the beauty products are made for hotter climates. I found many of the beauty products to be of a higher quality than the ones sold in the West, and of course cheaper as well. Many of the skincare products removed impurities without stripping the skin. I found many of them gently moisturizing and beautifully scented. Along with street food and purchasing Indian attire, shopping for beauty products is a must!

--------

Dear readers, what are your favorite Indian beauty products? Do you like to pick up local beauty products when you're traveling abroad?

SHARE:

14 comments

  1. Omg!! Our tastes our so similar. Kathiawar is a store I visit so often. In fact the entire park lane area is my favourite spot for shopping. The jam packed lane in general bazaar and the tiny boutiques around the taruni shop area are my all time favourites. When my sis left for Australia last month she did her entire shopping from park lane. Of course just for shoes I go to metro because the quality of the shoes really differs from other stores. Also you should've checked out Revlon India products. The sales girls at kathiawar usually lure into lakme but Revlon India too has many many better products compared to lakme. Also if I'd known earlier I'd have asked you to purchase vedic line scrubs and masks. They are now the rage and also work better compared to Himalaya products. Their papaya scrub and mask is just so Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO! I loooooove Park Lane....
      I will check out Revlon and Vedic line next time :)

      Delete
  2. I love Himalaya too, especially their baby rash cream, the product I should have known about BEFORE having a child, because that stuff is the best thing around to treat a heat rash.

    Another favourite of mine which you find in 5 star hotel is the Biotique range, I LOVE their apricot shower gel, I can't use anything else, nothing comes close to that one in matter of scent, skin friendliness and amount of foam it yields from a tiny quantity.
    I also like Fabindia's personal care products, all natural and nice smelling too.
    I'm not must of a make up person, so I have very little interest in Lakmé. They are ok products, mid range and affordable, but with my sensitive skin I had more problem with this brand than with other, I am allergic to their sunscreen, the face cream tend to burn a little too, but I liked their nail polish a lot in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their baby line is really great...I wonder if I can get it here at the Indian grocer!
      Oooooh Biotique! I will check that out!
      And I saw the FabIndia stuff but I will try it next time...

      Delete
  3. I have never tried Forest Essentials and I must admit they look interesting! Price wise, I do think it is as expensive as natural American brands. Will check it out on my next trip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scents are sooooooo fab!!!!!! They have a shop in Hyderabad Central mall and the staff was lovely.

      Delete
  4. Anybody have any recommendations for the best kohl kajal?
    I've tried all the big name kohl kajals like Loreal, Lakme, Maybelline, Lotus, Himalayan & either found them too waxy to smudge or so oily they migrate all over my face giving me 'panda eyes'.
    I like the old fashioned 'Bluebird' cone kohl kajal the best although they seem to have changed their formula as of late & it's a bit migratory now too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I am still searching for the kajal but the one I liked was from Himalaya.

      Delete
  5. Brilliant post! I had no idea you can buy such a luxury looking sindoor!? I went to a couple of Lakme parlors when in India and enjoyed their products and professionalism. Himalya products is well known for us and MJ uses the pills for the same reasons as your hubby-ji :) We also use Patanjali toothpaste (herbal). I am now curious about the Forrest Essentials, especially that I love vetiver note, will definitely look for them when in India in few months! x M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a liquid sindoor from Lakme and Lotus, with different shades of red and maroon :)

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love Biotique products! http://www.biotique.com/ One of the best face creams I have ever had is Wheat Cream. All are Ayurvedic products. I really recommend! As well I very much like Patanjali. I use many of their ayurvedic products, like cream for joints, amla juice, Chyawanprash, toothpaste,cough tea etc, but these are mainly for health. Healthy body, healthy skin! https://patanjaliayurved.net/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maya is crazy about Chyawanprash :)
      I have to check out Biotique.....you're the third person who has recommended it :)

      Delete
    2. The best taste has Patanjali´s Chyawanprash (at least according to my family). My mom specially likes the one with saffron. :).
      And Biotique is really good, as well my husband loves loves wheat cream. And recently they came out with new products - for aging skin :) if Wheat cream is 199 rupees then day cream for aging skin is 1999. I like that cream as well, very much :). My husband also loves their shampoo (apple) as its the only shampoo which keeps away dandruff (he has tried really many shampoos) but I don't like that shampoo that much - little foam.
      And mud pack - is really nice! All my cousins like it!
      Anyways, when i go home my luggage is full of Patanjali and Biotuque products :)

      Delete
  7. I love Lotus herbals and Himalaya too. Biotique and Revlon have better products than Lakme, I feel.

    ReplyDelete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig