Tuesday, February 24, 2015

A Tamil family reunion in Hyderabad


One of the main reasons why we took our daughter to India was to meet all her elderly relatives, who probably won't get a chance to visit us in Canada. This was really important to me because Thatha died last year before we were able to make it to India, which is something I will forever regret.

While we were in Hyderabad, we arranged a "family get-together" and rented out a small function hall so we could have a mini family reunion. "Mini" being of course like 30 people, which is a very small percent of our Big Fat Indian family. Having a "get-together" like this was crucial because we just didn't have enough time to visit everyone's house personally. That in itself would take like 1 year to do!!!

On the Tamil side, husband-ji's grandparents each had 13 brothers and sisters, so that means Maya has A LOT of great-grandmas and great-grandpas!


During December, quite a few of our relatives who live abroad were also visiting Hyderabad, so we invited them all to our "get-together". Husband-ji hadn't seen these cousins for over 15 years, so it was great to reconnect. It was quite colourful to have extremely old-school relatives in the same space with the new generation of kids - who are uber modern. It was like old India and new India were in one room. You can just imagine the funny conversations!


SHARE:

10 comments

  1. The more I read your blog the more I like you and think how lucky your hubby is .... I am the mother of 2 gorgeous boys who are very Aussie but I know they love their Indian side too and how I wish they meet a nice , mature girl like you one day . I think you are doing a great job in maintaining great relationships with the Indian side of the family for your hubby and daughter as much as a little bit for yourself . Any smaller person would have cut off their hubby from it and never let their child learn and enjoy their rightful heritage. Good on you for going the extra mile ! Ana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is probably the most kindest comment I have ever gotten. Most people look at me as some nightmare because they can't see past my skin to see all the efforts I do. I love my husband and therefore I love his entire family and his culture, in every shape or form. I will never stop trying for my husband, or his family, regardless of if they like me or not. Luckily most of them have come around now.
      Thank you so so so much :)))))))

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful Indian family! So glad you, husband-ji and Maya got to be part of this reunion, family is SO important. These memories will always be with you.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa.....yes it really is...I am so glad we took her.

      Delete
  3. Totally agree with the first comment , I know many of my friends who refuse to bond with in-laws side of the family just because they cannot get along with them , I really admire you for taking such extra steps to bond , I am glad to read , they are all accepting you slowly. Lots of best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, it is sad....especially with my in-laws, even if we have a fight and hurt each other, I love them simply because they gave me their son. They produced my life partner, I am grateful for that. Even the extended family, who is a bit harder to bond with - they are also a part of my husband. I love them for that reason...we are all one family now.

      Delete
  4. Renting a hall and everyone meeting just makes so much sense. As you mentioned, individually visiting everyone would take years, not to mention the pounds one would pile on with all the food one would have to eat to appease the various relatives :-). I have yet to visit India with my daughter and husband, but if and when we do we are going to go the 'rent a hall' way.

    Raina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really great idea! And it beats traffic too!

      Delete
  5. This sounds like so much fun! How long did the event last? We did this with our family about a two decades ago and the event was about 7-8 hours long. Several guests stayed back at my grandparents' place overnight (since it was a Friday evening) and left for their houses Saturday noon or evening. We had a ball of a time (I was all of 10-11 years old :P)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It went on til quite late in the night, then Maya fell asleep in the car. I don't think we will return for a few more years, so we may have to make it a regular thing. It was really fun - I'm all for any celebration, whatsoever!

      Delete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig