Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Finding a good tailor in India


Anybody who enjoys wearing Indian attire knows the true importance of having a good tailor. A good tailor that understands your body and your style is just as important as having a good hairstylist or a good masseuse. It really depends on a rapport that you have with them - a "good" tailor does not mean they are good for everyone. Sometimes a family member will recommend a tailor that worked great for them, but they turned out to be not so good for you. In India, it is harder to find the right one because of language barriers as well. 

Indian attire REQUIRES a tailor. The majority of fabric is sold as loose fabric, so you need a tailor to stitch it for you. Many of the fabrics are unique so you may not ever find the same ones again - that's why it's so important to find a good tailor and stick with them. Nowadays there are ready-made outfits you can buy, but nothing looks better than an outfit that is perfectly fitted to your body - especially if you have big boobs and a big bum!

My favorite tailor is R & R Stitchers behind Taruni in Park Lane, Secunderabad. She is just so great - I am practically in love with that lady! I discovered her 8 years ago by chance, and I have used her ever since then. She charges me a good price, she understands my body, fit, and style, and she completes the outfits very fast. Every time we go she takes fresh measurements and then we pick my top 5 necklines that I like. Then she will choose what neckline suits which outfit and it often comes out so stylish. She is very professional and friendly.

However, on this recent trip, Park Lane was just soooooo far from our hotel in Jubilee Hills. We decided to try out a new tailor out of desperation to avoid traffic - and it was a HUGE mistake!!!

The new tailor was referred to by my favorite saree shop, Nalli Silks. I had her do 6 saree blouses and she did a great job, so I thought I'd ask her to do 4 of my new Salwar Kameez outfits as well. (Side note: just because you can do blouses, does not mean you can do outfits). 

The lady was Tamil so naturally I thought she'd complete it with a little extra-extra TLC for us. We returned for the outfits and she completely butchered them!!! It looked like she had sewn them drunk and even one of the necklines was completely uneven. She took over a week to complete them, and then she charged us 1100 Rs for each outfit (my regular tailor only charges 500 Rs). She used the cheapest fabric for lining which was as flimsy as paper. I was absolutely pissed and completely flipped my lid. I demanded that she give the entire money back for ruining my outfits and also because I'd have to take it to my other (better) tailor to pay her to fix them. Then, the shifty woman took out her notebook, with FIRANGI written on the top, and opened it up to show me pages upon pages of foreigner's names that she had massively overcharged, like some sick serial killer who kept a note of their murderings. At this point I nearly felt like slapping her - both for overcharging other foreigners, and also for thinking that I was as clueless as them. Husband-ji ushered me out before I slapped her in the face. He ended up screaming at her in Tamil, and telling her that he will tell Nalli Silks that she has cheated us, and then there was some name-dropping. He may have done an age-old lie that all Hyderabadi's seem to do by threatening her that his father was ______ (pick one: chief minister, a police commissioner, the president of something). Then the lady got freaked out about her reputation and ended up giving half of the money back (the other half she spent already on god-knows-what). But alas, my outfits were still ruined....

(I don't know what it is, but when husband-ji starts yelling in Tamil, he looks really hot!!! Maybe it is all those tattoos...ha ha!)

We returned back to my favorite tailor and I felt like a cheating wife with my tail between my legs in shame, admitting that I had gone to another tailor. She ended up fixing my ruined outfits, free of charge, like the champ she is. On my way out, I vowed to her to "never go to another tailor, ever!

'Til death do us part!!!

SHARE:

13 comments

  1. Lol at the last line , and yes , totally understand , every Indian girl will surely agree , glad that you found a genuine one ,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will never "cheat" on her again! LOL

      Delete
  2. Hahahah, Wow she really had a special book of foreign accounts! Like she took pride in over charging them! Glad you returned to your other tailor. I need to find a better tailor next time i go to India. I hated mine. He was one my MIL uses, but all of my suits were sewn like a rectangle. No dip in for the waste or anything. We had to keep going back and saying , please tailor it in a nice pleasing shape!! I mean they finally came out good but it took like 5 visits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR?!?! Can you believe that! A little brag book!
      Same problem with the bad tailor - no shape at all, completely boxy.

      Delete
  3. Argh tailors! I don't know anybody who doesn't have some crazy stories. I had one that measured me right, but still ended up making an outfit a size too small, apparently they must have thought that the measures were off afterwards. For my wedding lehengas and sarees I went to a lady across town that was recommended by Deepam in Bangalore, she was awesome. But of course she also did charge more than the average road side tailor, but without cheating anybody.

    We were talking about this last Diwali my SIL and I. Tailoring charges in both Delhi and Mumbai are quite high if you want a decent job done. And it makes it no longer worth it to go for dress material, most women I know buy ready made and then take it to a tailor for minor alterations instead, there is less risk of the outfit getting butchered that way, and the cost is more reasonable that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so interesting - yes, makes sense to get a ready made one, up a size and then tailor it down.

      Delete
  4. Ah. Tailors can be good or a pain. I had to laugh at the point of husbandji shouting in Tamil being hot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They say finding a good tailor is harder than finding a good husband! I love getting things stitched but hate looking for a tailor... because something always inevitably goes wrong. Every time I've had a problem they always say it's because 'there was not enough fabric'. Round neckline instead of square neckline? Not enough fabric. Too short? Not enough fabric. Sleeves too short? Not enough fabric. Too tight? Too loose? Not enough fabric Madam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is totally true - it is like finding a soul mate! And yes - the fabric excuse! ALL the time! My good tailor never says that, she always finds a way for it to work and maximize the fabric. The bad tailor certainly used the fabric excuse!

      Delete
  6. You should give her your pic n ask her to keep it in her book of people deceived saying someone stood up to her finally;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha!!!!! Maybe I will send her a postcard!

      Delete
  7. All's well that ends well, I guess. I have had some really terrible experiences with tailors in the past and your post reminded me of something I wrote a while back: http://www.simblybored.com/2011/06/the-evil-tailor/

    ReplyDelete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig