Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Maya's first week at school!


Last week was Maya's first week at school - a huge milestone for both child and mother!

I was eagerly anticipating the first day - it really couldn't come fast enough for me! The whole week prior, Maya fell sick again (too much traveling) so I kept her indoors for the majority of the week to ensure that she would be better by her first day. It was a little difficult because I was feeling antsy, craving some time to myself to write or be creative, but I tried to enjoy it as the last full week that we had together before she became "a big school-aged girl"!

The school is very strict about pick-up and drop-off times which I have to be very careful about, as I am constantly late due to my mommy-brain or generally being in la-la land all the time. I set three alarms on my mobile to make sure that we got there on time!

The morning of the first day of school, I suddenly realized that I forgot to purchase slip-on indoor shoes as the teachers requested. I had to frantically rush out in the middle of a rainstorm that morning to purchase it. Maya was very excited about all this, and picked out the brightest pink neon shoes that you'd ever see. Thankfully, they had her size! There was a pizza place next door so we grabbed a slice of thin-crust New York style cheese pizza and it just added to the excitement of the day.

On the drive to school, I suddenly got very nervous....but perfect timing, my favorite song came on the radio to calm my nerves. When we got to school, the teachers want all the children to line up at the door and shake hands with the teacher as they enter the classroom and say, "good afternoon teacher". Then you send your child into the classroom and you leave. At this point, my heart started racing, and I felt some apprehension as I saw my daughter enter the classroom. I thought, what if she needs me to help her undo her jacket? Or what if she needs me to point to the activities? Doesn't she need me for SOME THING??? (I mean, we are talking about a child who won't even let me enter the kitchen without trailing behind me!) But she didn't. I felt like a mother bird watching my baby bird fly the coop. I nearly had a heart attack. I was a nervous wreck.

The first day she only went for 30 minutes, so I basically couldn't go anywhere. I ended up doing exactly the thing I SWORE I wouldn't do - I ended up going grocery shopping, along with all the elderly people who shop during the day. I felt like a total weirdo!

When I went to pick her up, she ran into my arms and said, "Mommy, I love my new school!" Every parent's dream!!! The teacher said she went right into the puzzles and worked on it the whole time. I was so proud of her, and amazed. Afterwards, I took her out on a date for red velvet cupcakes and hot chocolate, to celebrate.


The next day, she went for 45 minutes, and already knew the routine. I went to drop her off and she was like "BYE MOM!!!" and I felt really happy to see this independent side of her. When I went to pick her up, the teacher said she did great and increased the timing for the next day. By the end of the week, she was going full-time and she adjusted seamlessly.


I'm starting to realize that my daughter is so adaptable (well, of course she is, she has already traveled 3x internationally) and that maybe it's ME who is clinging to her. Now I need to fly my coop and be just as confident as she is!!!

SHARE:

12 comments

  1. Maya is all grown up! :)
    What time does her school start in the morning (you had time for shopping before you dropper her off at school!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right! Now I am thinking, why did I not do shopping before! I just did it out of nervousness, I think! LOL

      Delete
  2. Such a cutie! My husband and I are expecting our first half Indian half Scottish baby. So excited ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwwww that is amazing!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  3. @Alexandra

    She did not cry on the first day which is so good. Children generally cry on the first day and it is traumatic for the parent. Congratulations on her first day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much....I was so proud and surprised! She is independent after all! Now she says she has lots of friends at school, although I don't know yet which kids they are!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad Maya is enjoying school ! Take care. (Padparadscha)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww!! Maya looks so adorable...a big girl, but still a child. I can totally understand your feeling Alex. I don't think we moms can ever let go. We just pretend maybe, that we are cool about kids growing up and leaving the coop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally....I am like still in shock! I never expected the day to finally come!

      Delete
  6. Wow she is growing up so fast, so beautiful and smart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww thanks Tina! She is totally a little teacher's pet....her and Nasreen would take over the world! ;)

      Delete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig