Monday, March 16, 2015

Maya wears a bindi


When we were in India this Winter, my daughter developed a fascination with the bindi. All the women (young and old) in husband-ji's family wear a bindi, so naturally Maya wanted to join in. My MIL wears a traditional big red bindi in the middle of her forehead, which Maya kept pointing to and loved. My MIL would often take hers off and put it on Maya instead, as a sign of affection - as well as subconsciously passing on her beliefs to her granddaughter.


Recently, we were on Skype with Grandma Sandhya (my MIL) and yet again, Maya was fascinated with her bindi. She pointed to it with such excitement and glee, which my MIL loved. The next day, when I was braiding Maya's hair in the morning, she spotted a small bindi packet that I had in the bathroom. She immediately grabbed it and said, "Bindi, bindi....I want to wear bindi!" She picked out the color - red, of course - and I put it on her. Then she said to me, "look, I wear bindi... just like Grandma!"

I thought it might be a one-time thing - since toddlers are so fickle in their tastes - but every day since then she has wanted to wear a bindi, to start her day. It has kind of become a regular thing. I love to see her excitement in wearing it, and I am delighted that it connects her to her father's culture and her beloved Grandma - simultaneously. Most times, we just feel so far away from everybody, over here in Canada.

Seeing as how she is being raised practicing Hinduism, I see no problem in her wearing it. I am happy to see her feeling proud to wear it, and husband-ji's family is simply thrilled.


SHARE:

19 comments

  1. That is just precious!

    Raina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you :)
      Now she is matching her clothes to her bindi!

      Delete
  2. Hi Alex,

    Maya is just adorable! Glad she is keeping up with all family traditions and practices.

    Meissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! My MIL was thrilled!

      Delete
  3. @Alexandra

    Maya looks so cute with bindi. As far as bindi is concerned, even boys have fascination with bindi. My son picks up the bindi from my wife's forehead and puts it on. I think this is because bindi kinds of makes one look different and more beautiful. It changes the look of a person. I guess even children know about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwww that is so sweet. You won't believe what she has done now....now she has put the bindi on all her baby dolls AND stuffed cat AND me! My MIL thought that was hilarious...

      Delete
  4. Maya is such a cute and smart girl, she chose the symbol of wisdom - placing the bindi on her frontal cortex/forehead.
    The real meaning of bindi or ash marks is to honor the section of brain that is used for analytical and intellectual thought; modern science has proved that the prefrontal cortex is where all higher thought processes begin.

    Vedic science knew this thousands of years ago and given the importance placed on wisdom meditation and dhyana/mindfulness, Hindus use that spot to focus while praying/meditation. That is also the spot of Shiva's third eye - the ultimate sign of all encompassing wisdom and balance. Shiva is the patron god of yoga too.
    Lets forget the schism between the Vaishanvites and Shaivites - it really doesn't exist except as a made up barrier by 'rival' teams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is def a wise one...it really takes me aback how connected she is to her father's culture - without me pushing it on her, she knows already. Kids are just brilliant!!!

      Delete
  5. if the suit from your husbands n your kiddy pic exists would be nice to see maya in them...New generation in the same settings as before?. She looks precious. Though I am not very religious myself I havent let go off the bindi habit even after moving out of India. Lot of my friends have stopped wearing it and ask why I do so . For me its just like a tatoo. I dont use a dot but use black n brown eyeliners to draw different designs each day. I even have some silver glitter to fill in. Sometimes when I feel like it I do a temporary tatoo on the back of my hand or my ankle too. My moms theory of the bindi used to be that one should remember to not judge a person by their physical appearance your eyes but to use the eye of your mind to judge a person. He was one person who didnt believe you can judge a person by their shoes i guess. Well if that were true none of us researchers would pass the test hehe. (ahem love sporting a hiking shoe with skirts and cant balance on anything other than a box heel;))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think my hubby has his outfit as it was passed on to his cousins, but my mum kept mine! I will have to try it on her, maybe this Summer.
      I'm glad you never let go of the bindi habit, that is beautiful. Same as my MIL, she wears one every day. I love the meaning that your mum gave.

      Delete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig