Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Easter celebrations (2015)


This year, our Easter holiday was the busiest it ever has been! We had a 4 day long weekend, but we just stayed in town because we had so many things going on....


Before the long weekend, Maya celebrated her first Easter at school where they did some crafts, and then had an Easter egg hunt in the classroom for hidden chocolate eggs. She came home with two eggs, which unfortunately melted in her hand on the way home because she refused to let go of them. They also gave her a baby chick toy, which she plucked all the hair off of, and then we ended up throwing it out.


On Easter Sunday, we met up with friends and took the kids out for a special Easter egg hunt at Van Dusen Botanical Gardens. Maya saw the Easter bunny and said, "trick or treat"!

(Maya making buttermilk pancakes on Easter)

I thought about going to church or visiting my grandmother's grave, but I didn't feel like doing either. The church would have been packed, and the gravestone is so far from the city. The past few weeks have been extremely stressful, with my parents both coming down with health problems at once. My mum's was curable; but my dad's was not, and I'm trying to figure out how to deal with it emotionally and what the future means. My mind feels like scrambled eggs. The only thing that has been helping my stress relief is doing my art work and retreating into my books.


We also attended a family friend's birthday party which was so much fun. All of her friends are having kids, so it was great to get together and have all the kids play together and the parents chit chat. They cooked a beautiful buffet after their restaurant was closed and we had the whole place to ourselves.





The next day, my mum cooked a beautiful Easter dinner and my auntie bought an Easter egg carrot cake, which Maya was totally obsessed with!

(Dad's office - "after" pic)

We also helped my dad clean up his office so that he can work from home, like a regular elderly person. His office could have been featured on A&E's Hoarders - it was piled up to the sky with print outs and dust. My dad is still pretty old-school in the fact that he insists on printing everything out, when nowadays we all keep digital files of everything. So much that poor husband-ji has to buy printer ink for my dad like every single week. Everything had a sentimental value so he needed a lot of help deciding what to get rid of and what to keep. It also inspired me to do some Spring cleaning at our place too - because becoming a Hoarder is like my worst nightmare! The great thing that came out of it was that we found so many of my school projects - lots of Art and writing. It was hilarious to find it and re-read it. I was a writer way back then...before I even realized I was one!


The following weekend, we were invited to my godmother's house to celebrate Greek Easter with them. Greek Easter is usually celebrated on a different day than regular Easter, and it is more grand. But unfortunately, we couldn't attend because Maya & I came down with the flu (AGAIN!!!)


 It was really wonderful to have a celebratory weekend! 

Spring is here....hallelujah!

-----

Dear readers, did you celebrate Easter? If so, what did you do?

SHARE:

3 comments

  1. Hi Alex,

    Just love that picture of you, Husband-ji and Maya, great picture! Loved the photos of Maya with her Easter basket and fixing pancakes. Like how you organized your Dad's office, that was really nice thing that you did. Sorry that your Mom and Dad are ill, how they are feeling better. The picture of Maya and Dad eating ice cream is adorable. You guys are so much fun.

    Have a great weekend!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. My mum survived a heart attack 2 months ago, she collapsed under my eyes, and I can imagine just how you feel. It's good you have your art and family to comfort you.

    Take care, hugs, Padparadscha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your father recovers soon and is back to his normal health, it is blessing that your parents and your family live in the same city. Your constant support especially during this time will be of great solace for them. Prayers or spiritual books may help bring you peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig