Sunday, June 21, 2015

A Year in Fatherhood

Today is Father's Day and I wanted to take a moment to acknowledge all the wonderfully present and loving dads out there - especially dear husband-ji.

Fatherhood nowadays is much more about being emotionally present than it was in the decades past, where being a dad meant just supporting your family financially and doing nothing else. Now dads are really coming into their own and getting slowly encouraged by society to be just as nurturing as mothers - that they can cook family dinners, style their daughter's hair, and take the kids out on fun outings. All around me, I see the essence of fatherhood being redefined by emotionally strong and sensitive men.

There is nothing quite like having a child of your own that can soften a man's heart. Many fathers especially can feel like a nurturing gene was unlocked when you have a mini-version of yourself nuzzling up next to you for guidance and love.

This past year, husband-ji has really come into his own as a dad, with a new confidence. He has been having a lot of fun talking with Maya and enjoying all the funny things she says. He helps me out a lot by getting up early to make Maya dosas and tea for us, as well as starting dinner if he gets home before me. He eagerly awaits his one day off to spend time with Maya by himself and doing fun outings. I'll never forget the day he called me at work and told me proudly that he was the first one to get Maya to pee on the toilet! It has been a joy seeing him take delight in raising our daughter and I'm really looking forward to the upcoming years all together.


Here are some of my favorite father/daughter pics from the last year...


Father's Day 2014 was spent babywearing in transit at the Frankfurt airport...


No evening is complete until riding daddy like a horsey....


Even when he's trying to sleep....


We never really let him sleep though...


Or let him watch tv without the animals...


Daddy doesn't know how to braid but he does do a badass ponytail...


And always makes sure to dress me like a pretty little princess....


Everyone knows I have the coolest, most stylish daddy...


Who has lots of "drawings" on his arms...


And when we visit him at work, we always let him know who's the real boss...


Daddy always mashes the curry and rice into those perfect bite-sized balls...


And it's so much fun sharing treats with Daddy...


Daddy always takes me on fun outings with my friends...


And helps me collect shells on the beach....


Or shopping for groceries at the store...


And the farmer's market too...


Daddy's the only one who can build my toy sets...


And read me my bedtime stories in a funny voice...


There's no place more comfortable to sleep than daddy's hairy chest...


And his scruffy moustache kisses are simply the best...


Even if they tickle sometimes...


My daddy's just the best....


SHARE:

14 comments

  1. Beautiful post and father-daughter photo story :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely live Maya's long tops paired with capris. She looks so cute and carries them off so well. Did u get them from India?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, from FabIndia! They have the best kids clothes!

      Delete
  3. This is such a sweet post. Maya has an amazing daddy :)
    I am also impressed by how many pictures you take of everyday life. It is such a blessing to have them in place during moments like these. I hope I get more inspired to capture our every day life in pictures too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pepper! I take them all with my iphone! All funny moments that I don't want to forget! I hope she cherishes them :)

      Delete
  4. Happy Father's Day Husband-Ji

    Love all these photos with your sweet girl, such a great Dad you are! Enjoy your time with your family. Have a wonderful day.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, I know this post is about Fathers and Father's day, and all the photos are simply fantastic and no one can beat Maya when it comes to cuteness, but I have to say- I LOVE your husband's shoes.

    Raina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raina! He has a big shoe fetish! They are Jeremy Scott for Adidas limited edition!

      Delete
  6. Such a sweet post. Sent a link of this to my hubby too;). By the way Alex could you please suggest a good baby carrier for my daughter who is 10months old. She looks super comfy in the picture where she is strapped up to husband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amrita!
      It is the Ergo baby carrier - great for travel! We used it from 6-30 months!
      http://store.ergobaby.com/

      Delete
  7. Found this hard to read because yes it's good she has a good dad but aren't you conflicted in allowing her to be so immersed into your husbands culture so much so that she loses her identity as a mixed race child and you may lose your identity too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, my daughter has the best of both worlds, and so do we.
      Feel sorry for you that you can't see the beauty in fatherhood. Take care.

      Delete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig