Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Attending the Indian Summer festival


Every Summer in Vancouver, we have this festival called Indian Summer which celebrates the art, culture and music of India. The organizers bring in world-renowned Indian musicians, artists, authors to Vancouver, and it is easily my favorite annual event! It attracts Indian expats and Canadians alike, who are interested in seeing these talented speakers and performers. I even love the hashtag: #whereworldsmeet! In a nutshell, it is soooo us!

(Aradhana Seth's traveling photo booth)

In years past, I was honored to meet several Indian authors and artists. This year, they had Darjeeling Limited art director Aradhana Seth; Maestro Amjad Ali Khan & sons; actor Anupam Kher;  author Padma Viswanathan; entrepreneur Arunachalam Muruganantham; and artist Orijit Sen.


And with my parents watching Maya overnight now, it was easy to go to these events! It took our regular "date nights" to a new level! Not only is it fun for us to meet these famous people, but we made friends with new like-minded individuals who we saw at recurring events - which gave us such a sense of community that has been difficult to find here.

(Husband-ji & Vij)



This year, we got a chance to attend the Indian Summer opening night gala, which was basically an Indian-inspired street food festival led by celebrity chef Vikram Vij, and several of Vancouver's top restaurants. It was so much fun to taste the creations that these chef's made - my favorite was Bella Gelateria's Chai gelato! Literally, it was like an all-you-can-eat, all-star buffet! At the opening gala, they also had great performances by the Surya Brass Band; and I was totally starstruck when Aradhana Seth took our photo in her traveling photo booth!


Another event we loved was the Maestro Amjad Ali Khan & sons concert. For those of you who aren't familiar with him, he is arguably one of India's greatest living musicians - it was a once-in-a-lifetime chance to see him. Husband-ji especially loves classical Indian music. The concert took place at the historic Vancouver Orpheum and I have never heard the sarod played live before. It was utterly enchanting. 

(The Orpheum)

Khan was also joined with his two prodigal sons, as well as tabla masters Abhijit Banerjee and Vineet Vyas; and violinist Jeanette Bernal-Singh who nailed the raagas. The concert went on until 11pm and it was truly an unforgettable night.


Of course, I wore some of my new Indian outfits, as did husband-ji, who looked breathtakingly handsome! I even wore bright red lipstick - for the first time EVER!



I am sad that the festival is over, but I can't wait until next year!

SHARE:

10 comments

  1. Alex,

    You both look beautiful! Wow, just love Husband-Ji's outfit and really like your peach color salwar kameez. Glad you both are really stepping out and having fun in your community. That festival really looks really nice.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Melissa! We had a blast!

      Delete
  2. U shd wear bright red, really suits u! Glad u do date nights, extremely important in a marriage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have really grown to love red!

      Delete
  3. Alexandra , you are looking amazing :)
    You should wear Red lipstick often, it suits you :)
    Awesome such festivals help you connect with cultural aspect of India.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I will try to wear it more often, but am not used to it getting on my teeth! LOL
      I wish they had more! The organisers did a great job :)

      Delete
  4. Looks like it was excellent this year! This was the first year of our relationship that my boyfriend and I couldn't make it out to any of the events, though I really wanted to go! Last year we attended the Gala (Chai beer was outstanding) and the year before we attended a night of performances, spoken word and music. Awesome to see another Whindian couple enjoying this great fest! I really like your blog if I saw you I probably would have gone all fan girl haha. Has anyone ever come up to you "in real life" who knows you from your blog? :P
    All the best!
    -Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwww <3
      I hope I see you next year!
      A few have but I have very few local readers! Most are from USA or India ;)

      Delete
  5. You look sooo beautiful Alexandra! You are glowing lady!

    Deepa

    ReplyDelete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig