Monday, October 26, 2015

My 3 year blog-iversary


Three years ago, I was sitting around my living room with my then four month old daughter napping on my chest. I was most likely covered in spit up. I had most likely not found the time for a shower that day (new mothers, you can relate!). I was basically watching the world go by, either from my window, or when walking my infant in the stroller. Everyone was so busy, but my life was at a stand still. I had virtually no contact with the outside world. I was basically a zombie. And I had all these amazing ideas in my head, but no time to do anything. All I had was my daughter's nap time - and I certainly wasn't going to sleep. That ever-so-precious nap-time which meant I got some time to myself. Kinda like a get-out-of-jail free card - but only for 45 minutes tops!

There wasn't much I could do back then, especially since I insisted she slept on my chest for the duration of the nap time (what was I thinking?!), and I certainly wasn't going to watch the Real Housewives of Orange County again (once is enough!). I had one arm free...so I just started to type. And type, and type, until sometimes my hand got numb. And I did it again the next day too. And the next day. And that's how my blog was born.

That day, when my hand was hitting the keyboard, it was freedom. It was a tool for creative freedom, for freedom of emotions, and just because I wanted to write. It was like a light switch turned on in my head, and there was no turning back. It would be flexible, I thought. I can just write when I want to. I didn't have any expectations or goals. To be honest, I still don't know why people read here, but I'm glad they do. Who would have thought that the simple act of writing could turn into practically a career - one which I had no intention of having! It has brought me a lot of happiness to have this space. I think it's safe to say that I'll never quit my blog. I just love it too much!

(my work space)

I also wanted to take a moment to truly thank all of my devoted readers. Many of you have been reading here since the very beginning. You have come along for this journey with me, and many of you have helped me personally, although you wouldn't know it. I love hearing from each and every one of you. I love reading about your experiences.

I have a lot of hopes and dreams for this blog - a lot of things that I'm working on behind the scenes. I love writing my blog. I am continually excited by my blog. It keeps challenging me creatively. It has made me a lot more confident in real life too.

Cheers to another year of fearless blogging!

-----

And, if you're curious, these were my most read posts this year:

Top recipe posts:

Top Intercultural Love Stories

Top Ask Firangi Bahu dilemmas:

SHARE:

28 comments

  1. Happy blogiversay, Alexandra & thank you for writing. You inspire a lot of people! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love you too Alexandra! Glad you're never quitting and love your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) thanks to you for reading!

      Delete
  3. Alex,

    Happy blog-iversary, you are inspirational and thanks for sharing all your stories with us.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Alexandra. I wish you more success with your blog and anything you set your mind to do. I truly enjoy your blog. Keep up the good work,

    Millie B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Millie! I really enjoy having you as a reader and I love your thoughtful comments :)

      Delete
  5. Congrats! I only found your blog recently, but it is one I keep coming back to because of your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Alexandra!

    I have been reading your blog for the last couple of years. I have read every post and can relate to many things you write. I'm an American non-Indian married to an Indian who is a Canadian, so I get the Canadian aspects of you as well. :) I think people like your blog because it is thoughtful and honest. Also, with many posts you write, you analyze an issue from every angle. I think it appeals to me because I am like that! Also, I check your blog for new entries every day, so I guess that makes me a loyal reader! Keep writing! You have a unique gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading :) xoxoxo

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your the 3rd year anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look so GORGEOUS!!! Love love the first pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am getting my eyebrows done at this Indian place and they are doing an amazing job!

      Delete
  9. Faithful reader, congrats and keep it going! I loved ur pic, how is it different, u haven't tied ur hair in this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I colored my hair lighter, didn't you notice? ;)

      Delete
  10. @Alexandra

    Congratulations and thank you for making us part of this journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and coming along with me :)

      Delete
  11. Alexandra, you are so talented, what you talk about is so interesting and you write it so well. Thank you for putting yourself out there and bringing us all together. Congratulations! Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks Cyn! I hope to be blogging as long as you :)

      Delete
  13. I love your blog!! I discovered it a year or so ago by searching an Indian dish I was trying to figure out how to make. Love Love getting new blogs in my email!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy bloganiversary, Alexandra ! Is it only 3 years, you are such a famous blogger, it seems like you've always been here. Hope you keep on writing many more years ! (Pad)

    ReplyDelete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig