Monday, February 29, 2016

Recipe: Indian Carrot Ginger Soup


One of my friends makes an amazing carrot soup recipe that I constantly crave and dream about all the time. So, of course, I had to find out what she puts in it, and Indian-ize the recipe to make it more flavourful for my spice-lovin' palette! This soup is simple and filling, with a subtle spice. I like to make this in big batches and then freeze it for a quick lunch or dinner (it freezes for up to 3 months!). This recipe is very low-maintenance, and I love how I can keep it boiling and putter around the house to do other things. This recipe is packed with super foods and is very good for your health. Carrots are a high-fiber vegetable that keeps you full all day. Along with carrots, both garlic and turmeric are antioxidant foods. This soup is blended, so it would be great for children too - especially if you're trying to introduce them to a diverse palette.

Madh Mama's Indian Carrot Ginger Soup

Serves 4-6 people

Ingredients:

- 3 tbsp olive oil OR butter
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp ginger, chopped
- 7 cups water
- 1 pound carrots (or 6-8 large carrots), peeled and chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp black pepper

Directions:

Heat up the oil/butter in the pan on medium heat. Add the cumin and sauté for a minute. Add the chopped onions.


When the onions are halfway done, add the ginger and garlic.


When the onions are done, add the water, carrots, turmeric, salt, nutmeg, and black pepper. Boil it for 40 minutes.


Blend it all up.


Return it to the pan. You can add more water if you'd like it more liquid-y.

You can garnish this recipe with (pick one):
- fresh coriander leaves
- dash of squeezed lemon
- a dollop of sour cream /yogurt

SHARE:

5 comments

  1. Ohh this is very similar to a version of carrot soup that I make. I add bay leaf to the oil before adding the onions, I omit the cumin as my family does not like the smell of cumin in a soup, instead I add a dash of garam masala and some cilantro.And yes, if I am making this for my daughter, I add some cauliflower florets, some french beans and a tomato to make it more wholesome. It is really super easy and super yum!
    Manisha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more twist to this recipe to make it even healthier with a little protein? Add some masoor daal. Yum and good for you too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try adding dal.

      I make something similar except with cashew cream and coconut milk. Cashew cream can be made by blending cashews with a little bit of water. Mix in some coconut milk. Add to soup. One of the best soups ever!

      Delete
  3. Oh my! That's a lot of cumin even for a spice loving palette. I'll try this out since I have a bunch of carrots shriveling up in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig