Thursday, March 31, 2016

My April Reading List


The last few months have been crazy busy, with husband-ji going away for his business trip in February to NYFW; I got bogged down with an awful case of Springtime allergies (thanks cherry blossoms!) and we took an impromptu Spring Break trip to Portland (post coming soon!). I got totally behind on my last reading list which took me an additional month to read. My favorite from last month was the wonderful novel, The Japanese Lover - brilliant!

This month, I am reading the following:

Where the Peacocks Sing: A Palace, a Prince, and the Search for Home, by Alison Singh Gee
My friend Jocelyn recommended this on her Goodreads, and when I found out it had a Chindian story-line, of course I had to check it out! I am currently reading this one and the narrative is so, so interesting.

The Fountainhead, by Ayn Rand
This is a classic novel that I have always wanted to read. Every snobby intellectual seems to covet this book. It looks like a big whopper - I hope I can finish it by month's end!

Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide, by Nicholas Kristof
This author is a Pulitzer prize winner and this novel was on the bestseller list for ages. I love books about women's rights around the world; and the ways in which women empower themselves - oftentimes with very little. I am really looking forward to reading this book.

Farthest Field: An Indian Story of the Second World War, by Raghu Karnad
I love stories about the World War 2 era, partly because my grandparents told me so many stories from back then. And now, being part of an Indian family, I am eager to read more stories from an Indian perspective of what it was like during that era. This book is part history, part biography, so I am sure I will enjoy reading it.

------

Has anybody read any of these books?
What are you guys reading this month?

SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Congratulations your blog is nominated for NEPALIAUSTRALIAN’s Blog Award 2015. Please click on the link for more details.

    http://nepaliaustralian.com/2016/04/01/nepaliaustralians-blog-award-2015-nominations-announced-2/

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm.. where is the time to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Where the Peacocks Sing: A Palace, a Prince, and the Search for Home"- is this non fictional? Like a travelogue? Please say yes. lol. If it is I'll put it on my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read "Where the Peacock Sing" twice. Once before I met my Indian spouse and once right before my first visit to India...Interesting but I have lots of comments that I would share over email me.

    ReplyDelete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig