Monday, March 7, 2016

Recipe: Mint & Ginger Chai


I love a good cup of chai, and this is currently my new favorite. One of my favorite Indian cookbooks mentions putting mint in chai, and recently, a friend told me about the amazing mint chai she had. So, I decided to try it out for myself! I made it very simple, to suit South Indian taste buds - with only a few ingredients. I combined it with ginger to give it a zing which goes along so well paired with the freshness of the mint. It has a slightly Middle Eastern flavor. I really look forward to drinking this chai - every day at 3 o'clock sharp! There are so many health benefits of consuming mint, for example improving focus and concentration - which makes it a great mid-workday pick me up!

Madh Mama's Mint & Ginger Chai
(Serves 1)

- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1.5 tbsp loose tea powder (I love Taj Mahal brand)
- 10 mint leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- sugar to taste

Directions:

Set heat to high and add ALL ingredients to a boil.


Then, let it sit for 2-3 minutes as the tea darkens the milk.


Strain and serve in a cup along with sugar...and enjoy!

------

If you are a fellow mint lover, don't forget to try my other recipes like Pudina Rice or Rice Cooker Vegetable Biriyani with Mint and Cilantro!

If you like chai, check out my Classic Chai or my Spicy Masala Chai recipe.

SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Wow this sounds delightful and I loved the photos! I need to get myself some black loose tea and a small strainer. It has taken me too long to make chai at home in the US. In India it was easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The Golden Son" mentions Aneel drinking and remembering the mint chai his mom made back in the village!

    ReplyDelete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig