Monday, May 30, 2016

Now Featured In: Times of India (Chennai edition)


Guess what, guys!!! Yesterday we were featured in the Sunday edition of the Times of India newspaper (Chennai edition) on page 2! TOI is India's leading newspaper and the Chennai edition has a circulation of approximately 245,000 copies, so it is great exposure for us. Since I started my blog, my dream was to be in the Times of India and now it's something I can cross off my bucket list! 

Along with me, they featured 3 other Firangi Bahu's (including my friend Nancy - read her love story featured HERE) and we talk about how we have adjusted to Indian culture, get along with our in-law's and try to help other women do the same. My mentions in the article mostly talk about my weekly help column, Ask Firangi Bahu. They also mention the apartment building project we are currently doing for our joint family. The article starts off & ends with our story. 

Here is a small excerpt from the article:

"[Alexandra] began her blog as a resource for other intercultural couples. The mail she got prompted her to start "Ask Firangi Bahu". "I get a lot of letters from foreigners whose Indian boyfriends do not tell their families about the relationship. This is a bone of contention because for most Westerners, a secret is about shame, whereas in Indian culture dating is taboo," says Alexandra."

I did the interview for the article several weeks ago, so I have just been sitting on the edge of my seat with anticipation waiting for it to come out. They used a nice picture of our parents sitting together at our wedding. When I told my MIL that her picture was on page 2 of the Times of India, she was absolutely horrified and her eyes bulged out of her head. She was standing over the hot stove making spinach dal and she nearly had a heart attack. Great timing I have, I know! I told her it was a picture of her sitting at our wedding, and then she was relieved. "Then, it's okay, because I was looking nice that day in my orange saree and my hair was done up nicely." I don't think my MIL ever expected to be in the newspaper!

It is wonderful to see an article in such a large newspaper that celebrates intercultural love and creates awareness about couples like us. There are very few foreigners married to Tamil men, so I hope all the elder Indian aunty's and uncle's get a little less afraid about their children falling in love with non-Indians!

SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Congratulations on this wonderful accomplishment! Is there a link to view the article online? I am trying to find it on the TOI website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful. Is there a way to read the full article? The zoom resolution is really low.

    Raina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! That's awesome! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex,

    SO HAPPY for you all to be in the Times of India. Sure wish I could read this article. Congratulations!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig