Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Our Joint-Family Vacation to the Okanagan


Earlier this Summer we did a fabulous road trip up to the Okanagan, which is known as B.C.'s "Napa Valley" because of it's beautiful rolling hills, wineries, and fresh fruits. I really wanted our first trip after my in-law's getting their PR to be a Canadian one - and especially in B.C. - so that they could explore their new province.

We have been to the Okanagan many times because my auntie has a house up there and she is always inviting us up to visit. Her house is set on 8 acres of land and she grows apples, peaches, plums and apricots that you can pick right off the tree. Their house overlooks the beautiful Lake Okanagan and it has a wonderful view. They just finished a 2 year home renovation where they added a swimming pool and an extra house of the property. The last time we visited was 2 years ago, which was right before they started their renovation.


My auntie lives in the hills between Penticton and Naramata, on the East side of Lake Okanagan. There is not much to do up there, other than visiting the wineries (but we don't drink). So for us, it was a full relaxation trip where we just spent the time swimming, and exploring my auntie's apple orchard. The one outing we did was visit the famous Penticton Farmer's Market where I found the best cinnamon buns that I have ever tasted in my entire life!


The highlight of the trip was definitely when my mother-in-law dressed up my auntie in a saree - she looked so amazing and elegant!



Staying at my aunt's place also gave my in-law's a chance to experience having a Mediterranean diet for 4 days - grilled vegetables, salads, hummus, etc. They were surprised that they could feel full without eating rice!

Maya had a wonderful time running around the orchard, collecting plums in a basket, and feeding the donkeys next door. She has never had that large a space to explore, so she went totally wild!

It was a great trip for my in-law's because they got to see a completely different part of B.C. and a new landscape - the interior of our province is completely different than the coastal towns - where we reside.


Doing a Summer road trip together was so much fun. Last year, we did a road trip to Yellowstone National Park and this year, it was the Okanagan. It' the second year in a row that we've done a road trip and I think this is something that we can do every year! I just love traveling all together.

-------

Dear readers, did you do any Summer road trips this year?
Have you ever been to the Okanagan?
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Hi Alexandra. My name is Alessandra, I'm from Brazil. And I love reading your blog. You have a lovely family. I started reading your blog because I got curious about the Indian culture and because my boyfriend is Indian too. So, your blog helped me to understand some stuff. hehe
    Thanks for writing this amazing blog. Love from Brazil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love reading about your joint family vacations! I was telling my in-laws about you and your family, and how I'd love for us to plan a big vacation each year :-)

    The setting for this vacation is simply stunning, Alexandra! It makes me want to visit B.C. right away. What are the legalities of visiting B.C. for an Indian resident? Is it very difficult to get a visa?

    So happy to see your in-laws settling in well. I'd love to hear more about the house you're building, and more about joint family life thus far.

    Sending love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so beautiful and serene there! You are so fortunate to be able to take vacations and make memories that will last a life time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alex,

    Just loved this new post about your joint family vacation to Okanagan, what a lovely place. Just love the new addition your Aunt completed on their home, the pool has that stunning view of the mountains! So glad you and Sandhya and Father in law had a good time. Picking the fruit off trees is amazing, maya seemed to love doing that. she has grown so fast! hope you and husband-ji are doing well. have a great fall.

    love,
    melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these photos, your aunt looks gorgeous!!
    What a beautiful place <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely lovely! I just moved to BC a few months ago and can't wait to travel to so many places!

    ReplyDelete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig