Friday, December 30, 2016

Our Christmas Celebrations 2016


This year, our Christmas celebrations were quite simple and joyous. My in-law's have celebrated Christmas with us many times before, but this is the first year that they have been officially living with us, so they really got to see the full seasonal preparations from start to finish. November was such a dark & dreary month that as soon as December rolled around we were grateful to be uplifted by all the Christmas cheer.

First, we started by decorating our Christmas tree and sending out our annual Christmas cards. Maya and husband-ji decorated the tree, and my mother-in-law and I got all the cards ready. 


This year, we also had a lot of heavy snowstorms which was fun for Maya and my in-law's to experience. Maya loved building snowmen and having snowball fights. Both of my in-law's dislike cold weather, however they found the snow to be quite wondrous once they were all bundled up.


Then, we spent the month of December visiting the Christmas Market, seeing Disney on Ice, the Nutcracker ballet, and the Cirque du Soleil. Maya had never seen any of these performances before and I wanted to wait until she was a good age and could sit through it. She absolutely loved them and she is a huge fan of live shows and music. It was really fun to take her, as it is something that husband-ji and I enjoy doing as a couple and now that she is old enough, she can join us too.

(My cousins & I on Christmas Day)

This year, with my pregnancy being in the third trimester, I was not able to do as much so I really scaled back. Husband-ji did the majority of the work from decorating to doing all the Christmas shopping, which was a big relief for me. A week before Christmas, I fell and sprained my ankle so I just spent the whole time at home with my foot elevated. It was actually a blessing in disguise because I was forced to rest and stay home, rather than go outside and exhaust myself dealing with all the frenzied shoppers. By Christmas Day, my ankle was a lot better and it was great to celebrate it calmly after having a week of rest.



On Christmas Eve, Maya and I made Martha Stewart's sugar cookies...and Maya basically did the whole thing from start to finish and I was basically her assistant! She loves to bake and she was very excited about it. We laid out the cookies and milk for Santa along with her note. Right before bed, my mother-in-law read all the Christmas books to Maya about baby Jesus' birth - multiculturalism at it's finest!

A video posted by Alexandra Madhavan (@madhmama) on

Christmas morning was very exciting, as always, as we opened up all the gifts. The majority of them were for Maya, as none of us really needed or wanted anything in particular. She loved all the toys she got and has been busy playing with all of them since.


We always have this tradition on Christmas Day to cook a nice Indian brunch, followed by a traditional Canadian Turkey dinner at my aunt's house. This year, my mother-in-law made the most delicious chole puri for Christmas brunch, and everyone had more than one plate! In the evening, we ventured to my aunt's for Christmas dinner which had a lot of great vegetarian options other than turkey.


It really was a lovely, calm Christmas season that was the perfect end to a crazy year. Since then, we have been busy de-cluttering our apartment and re-arranging furniture as we prepare for our new little arrival next month!

-------

Dear readers, how was your Christmas this year?
What were your favorite parts of the season?

SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Alex,
    As I go back through these pictures you have posted this year, there were so many first things for Maya this year. Loved the video of Grandma reading the Christmas story to her of birth. So glad she is doing well, and both sets of parents are there with you. Lots to celebrate this coming year and to welcome your new baby. Hope you get feeling better with your ankle. Happy New Year to each of you, may you continue to grow together and love each other more.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig