Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Introducing...our new baby!


I'm sure many of you will be wondering why I've dropped off the face of the Earth blogosphere for the past few months...and others will have suspected that we had our second child...which we did! Those of you who follow me on Instagram will have already gotten a sneak preview of our little princess.


Today she is one month old and the whole past month has gone by so quickly. I can't even believe it! I'm still in shock that I grew this beautiful baby inside of me, gave birth to her, and have had the honor of taking care of her. It has been a surreal blessing, to say the least. I'm still pinching myself! Today is the first day that I've actually had the chance to sit down at my desktop computer to a) go through insanely cute baby pictures; b) order an official birth announcement card; and c) announce the baby on my blog. And as soon as I finish this, it will be time for another feed and an hours-long cuddle where I can't simply put my little angel down!


My birth was a fantastic experience. I didn't think I could top Maya's birth, but we did. The last month of my pregnancy was very hard, but the birth went better than expected. She arrived on January 31st at 10:03pm and came into the world like a lightning bolt in a mere 40 minutes of active labour. No medication, completely natural as it should be. She weighed a healthy 9lbs even and was 52.5 cm tall. Husband-ji was amazing during my labour and did not leave my side and did all the deep breathing alongside with me. Shortly after delivery, I was up and about walking - I felt so good. Breastfeeding has also been going really well which has made me so happy and proud of myself.


We have named our baby Veda Rowan Madhavan. We wanted a short, easy-to-pronounce name that was meaningful. Veda is a historical Sanskrit name that means "knowledge" and is based on the sacred text, the Vedas. It is arguably the most ancient scriptures in the world - containing hymns, philosophy, and guidance. She was born just as all of our family in India were celebrating Vasant Panchami and honoring the Goddess Saraswati, making the name we chose even more auspicious. The middle name, Rowan, is a nod to my dear grandmother. She was so special to me that both my daughters are named after her.


Maya has just been completely over the moon with the baby's arrival and loves her dearly. I was worried about how they would bond as siblings, but it just happened so naturally and organically. Maya takes her new job as big sister very seriously and says the baby is "her baby". She pushes the stroller, watches the baby while I use the bathroom, and throws the diapers in the pail. Most of the time, she just wants to cuddle with her, kiss her cheeks, tickle her toes, and sniff her new baby smell. She even has a Polaroid picture of the baby that she puts in her backpack and takes to school with her. They have a 4.5 year age difference between them, which has worked out perfectly. Both of them have completely different personalities, but they seem to complement each other beautifully.


Husband-ji has also been the happiest I have ever seen him. I'm totally laughing at him now because I just remember him grumbling about not being sure if he wanted another child since forever. As soon as Veda came out and was placed on my chest, husband-ji started talking to her and she was searching for him. They have a very close, other-worldly connection. He has his Daddy's girl! I feel so happy for him because Maya is more of a Mummy's girl, and now he has his Daddy's girl - one of each! How blessed we are.


Welcoming a second child has been much more relaxed and anxiety-free than I thought it would be.  I thought it would be much more stressful and a hefty responsibility. I definitely don't regret it one bit. Welcoming Veda joins our list as one of the best things we have done. I feel so calm, happy and grateful to be a mom again. Our family is just as it should be. Knowing how fast kids grow up, I feel peaceful just taking everything day by day, which in my opinion is the best way to live!

SHARE:

18 comments

  1. Congratulations! What a fab start to 2017! All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!
    OMG Alex, she looks just like you!
    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats !I have two french-indian girls two, my first born in 2014 (Sonam)the second is only two months old, born in december, her name is Anokhi. It is a blessing to have daughters. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations & Best Wishes ! She is so Lovely !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex,
    Congratulations on your beautiful new baby girl, she is lovely. So glad you had an easy child birth. Looks like Maya is going to be a protective big sister! So good to see these pictures of you and Husband-ji. You both look so happy.

    Congratulations to your entire family.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! Been following your blog for a while and figured the hiatus was due to the new baby! Look at her eyes, so beautiful! Was delighted to see a new post though, been waiting for this one :) Until you're back I shall continue going through your blog from day 1, great writing style! Have I used enough exclamation marks? Haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!!!! You are born to be a mother of 10 at least- having in mind your speedy delivery :) I wish all the mothers out there the same labour as you had.
    I love her name- it's beautiful and unique, but also easy to write/pronounce and remember :)
    It's so fantastic your older daughter is so caring and happy with the new arrival :)
    All the best for your beautiful family :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats!!! Veda looks gorgeous and it is such a lovely picture of the two girls together :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Alexandra..Am a regular visitor to your blog. I recently gave birth to my second child. I can totally relate to your situation and anxieties. Your girls look cute. Let us enjoy this time. -Sameera

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hearty congratulations Alexandra . I was checking this place now n then for your posts .. am happy for you all .. baby looks adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the arraival of your new bundle of joy! She is adorable. Our daughter's name is Veda too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! She is beautiful. So happy everything is going so well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to you and your family :) p.s. your blog is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations Alex! What a beautiful little family. Was missing your posts but guessed you were busy with baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations!!!!! Veda is sooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations ! Veda looks lovely and her hair is amazing. Take care -Pad.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations Alex and God bless the child.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations Alex, and god bless Veda. Maya seem to be very fond of her. Veda certainly has your eyes and taken after you.

    ReplyDelete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig