Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Veda: 1 Month Old!


Here we go again with the monthly pictures! These are one of my favorite things to do, as kids grow so fast. I did these monthly pictures for 24 months with Maya...can I do it again? Maybe not for 24 months, but at least I'll aim for 12!

This month has really been a whirlwind. With every childbirth, I feel like it's a re-birth of me as a mother. Everything changes, everything shifts. Veda's spirit has really brought a new energy to our house. She has such a unique personality, and also a unique look. When she was first born, she looked like Maya, but now she looks very different. While Maya has an external, bubbly personality, Veda is more serious and internal. She is very observant of her surroundings. She is quite zen and calm, but she does have a temper. In terms of personality, she's more like husband-ji. Veda and Maya get along so well, I think, because they are so different. Opposite sides of the same coin. (P.S. Don't you just love her black "Elvis" hair?)

I feel like I've spent the past month in shock and awe that we actually have had another baby. This time has been a lot different compared to when we had Maya. I was very anxious and I did too much, too soon. This time, I have done basically nothing other than rest as much as possible and focus on the baby, and I'm happy to say that both her and I are thriving because of it. Both her and I are so incredibly well-taken care of by my mother-in-law, husband-ji, and my father-in-law. And I'm also much more conscious now of my own limits and I'm taking care of myself better by asking for more help when I need it - eg. getting husband-ji to pick up Maya from school! Once you have two children, you simply can't do it all by yourself.

Veda was a big baby to begin with, but she is also a big feeder. She loves her milk! Breastfeeding is much more established now and Veda is become a more efficient feeder - feeding more regularly, latching well, and able to extract more milk in a shorter amount of time. This basically makes me extremely exhausted due to the amount of milk my body is producing to satisfy her appetite. It makes me very tired, and very hungry. I am eating more now than I did when I was pregnant and the calories are just melting through me directly to the baby. I feel like one of those skinny b*tches who can eat whatever they want without gaining weight! Breastfeeding is quite demanding, but I feel a lot of joy doing it. I've become one of those annoying moms who lovingly gazes into the baby's eyes as they drink milk. How embarrassing. But I don't know what it is exactly - there's something hypnotic about it! I feel like the breastfeeding has made a huge difference in my mood and has helped keep my postpartum hormones leveled out (for the most part!). I have maybe had only two meltdowns so far, which is A LOT less than last time...let me tell you!

Husband-ji was off work for two weeks, which meant he took charge of Maya's routine by doing all the school runs and taking her to her extracurricular activities. He was pretty tired out by being Maya's chauffeur every day but I was secretly happy that he got to see how much work it actually was! The week he went back to work was extremely stressful for me, as I had to resume doing all of that - with a newborn in tow. For the first couple of days, the baby and Maya were both fussy in the car which left me in tears myself. Luckily, the baby got used to coming with us everywhere; Maya started dressing herself for school and learned how to talk quietly when the baby was sleeping; and I figured out that I needed to feed the baby fully before taking her out anywhere! Adaptation on all fronts. By the end of the month, the baby was feeding more regularly, so I fed her and left her at home with my mother-in-law while I did the quick school runs, which is much more convenient.

Another obstacle was that we were trying to figure out a way to put both of the kids to bed at the same time, since we are living in a small space. We had to adjust Maya's bedtime to a bit earlier, so that we could give them both a bath at the same time. With a lot of organization and all hands on deck, this was a success. It helps that Veda absolutely loves the bath - a total Aquarius water baby! After her bath & a good feed, she sleeps for a whole 6 hour stretch which leaves husband-ji and I feeling so refreshed. It has gotten her on to a really good routine. In fact, the whole house is asleep by 8:30 pm - kids, grandparents, and parents alike!

Other than doing minimal school runs, I have barely left the house which has been wonderful. The weather has been shitty anyway, and I'm not about to drag the baby out when it's still snowing (WTF). I am always so busy that it has been really nice staying at home in my nightgown and watching Netflix and CNN. I figured that I have the ultimate excuse to rest because I've just had the baby, so why not take advantage of it? Besides, in most cultures women don't even step out for months after childbirth. So clearly, I am pretending that I am one of those mothers! I have been delighted that we have had so many visitors this month, and even more delighted that they all come to our place, and that I can remain in my nightgown and nobody will judge me.

Now Veda is starting to transition into being more alert. She still insists on being carried or held most of the time. She is quite a little smarty pants in the sense that she refuses to sit in any rocker at all. Luckily, there are 4 adults in the house, so we have plenty of extra hands. This is when living in a joint family comes in really handy!

Until next month...!

SHARE:

5 comments

  1. Veda is so so adorable! Congratulations to you guys.
    I agree, times like these when you have a new born, living with parents really helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I stumbled across your blog a few months ago when I started dating my Malayali boyfriend and I've got to say the things you've talked about have been invaluable for me as the white Canadian half of a White/Indian couple. Keep up the good work! It's so nice to see there are couples like us out there that have made it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She gets more beautiful every time I see her! I loved reading this entry, and am happy to hear that YOU are so happy. It gives me something to look forward to, if and when we are blessed with our first baby. Continue taking care of yourself, and please do post when you can. I love reading about you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex,

    So happy for both of you, Veda is just adorable and growing really fast! Love her Elvis hair, she has beautiful hair like you. I am glad everyone else is doing well, looks like you are feeling pretty good. Take care of yourself.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beauty! So wonderful to read about all that has been happening. Thank you for sharing.

    Raina.

    ReplyDelete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig